Home General Discussion

anyone tried armor paint? any good?

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
I was wondering if this was worth getting in to?

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Probably not - last I heard was still in alpha?!

Maybe check out PBR Painter imo a better stable alternative because earlier this year I'd ran a basic test with fairly useful results, in short a rudimentary option too using substance's so I think worthwhile aspects to consider, well for the moment at least is on-going dev maintenance plus current trunk version compatibility, since release 2021.   
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    not sure though,seems like lots of car artists are using it. might give it a try at some point
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Ah right, then yeah should give armor a go if others are using it to paint their automotive textures with, anyway was only referring too the  documentation plus I've no hands on experience, besides.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    still its better than having to learn substance painter :)
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2
    Not using it myself.. but isn't this always difficult to answer.. ? It depends on the use case and the situation of the user.. (needed support/ free / even open source)..

So.. even if there are a lot like this ( https://www.slant.co/topics/8643/~3d-texture-painting-softwares ) kind of lists ( which of course sometimes also show software that even don't can do what was asked for...).. the descion always.. depends.. on the user..

Also MaterialMaker (open source) does have some painting features even if i do not use them but more the material making part...
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't tried it recently, but nothing I've seen about updates has convinced me otherwise: ArmorPaint's a little simplistic for many goals. If it happens to fit what you're making, great, but think about how annoying it'll be once you want to branch out.
    If you want a cheap alternative to Substance and you're already using Blender, there are many addons that introduce a UI for easy layer stacking with masks, generators etc. 
    UCUPaint is one, and it's free: https://github.com/ucupumar/ucupaint
    Others I've seen around:

Here's an article on the official design that's coming... at some point. https://code.blender.org/2022/02/layered-textures-design/
    The first step is the introduction of a 3d brush (versus a projection one, as we have right now), which is underway.

If you're not a Blender user, or you want more robust painting tools, I'm a big fan of 3DCoat for handpainted stuff.

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    @Michael Knubben , cheers for that, will check those out. Blender is pretty slow for texture painting, but okayish for stencils
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Really tried to get into 3DCoat and liked some of the paint functions but that interface can be a tough nut to crack, especially for managing a bunch of layers. Wasn't convinced by the UI, seemed very cumbersome for a somewhat complex task.
    Btw. there's also 3D painting in Toolbag if you have access to that. 

Me, I'm still using Mudbox for this task. Has all the paint tools I require and the easiest no-fuss interface to me. But of course very old style materials and non-PBR viewport. Not recommending it - but for me its a habit at this point to fall back to it. Blender for texturing.... well I had my hopes up but sometimes it works, sometimes it refuses to even show paint on the asset and I am all out of patience to debug why its not cooperating in this one scene.

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well i can just about manage to paint masks in blender, but proper texturing, no way, just too sluggish.
    (I do car stencils ok though)
    Hope it gets a rewrite. I did try 3dcoat a few years back but it ran like a dog on my machine.
    I did buy the early version of toolbag, but not the later ones
    oddly enough i can do nice texure painting with zbrush polypaint, but have to subdidvide first as it's not true texture paint
  • myclay
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    some collected thoughts ;
    compiling it yourself from source for free or ~20$ for one license seems okayish.
    IOS and Android licenses need to be purchased separately.
    For Android it might be the only 3DTexturing solution?

Apple release especially for the Ipad seems problematic.
    1.9 of 5 on Apples store.

Armorpaint has 12,928 sales, ★ 4.7 / 5 stars.  (Itch+gumroad ) on gumroad it has 740 ratings giving it a 4.7

Armorpaint can supposedly work on 16k images?
    integrated UV unwrapper
    UDIM support is there albeit by what I could gather not with direct cross painting? (or is it like prior substance painter releases where you just had to copy paste the layer to get the texture to appear?)

As of the end of this year Adobe started culling its perpetual Steam licenses. From 2024 forward, they will only concentrate on Substance Painter and Designer.(on Steam?)
    Substance 3D Modeler is unclear if it will still be sold or not.
    Stager(Renderer) and Sampler (Photogrammetry and Image to PBR) will receive updates for 2024 but not be sold in 2024 anymore on Steam.
    Included in the Armorpaint purchase is an image to PBR program.

There is a playlist for Armor Paint which shows some of it´s features.

Potential might be there in Armorpaint, if its Baking and handling of 2k,4k+ textures is quicker and more optimized than current Blender.

regarding Blender+addons

Bpainter V2.0
    cool addon and the layer blendfeature was cool, sadly it ain´t working anymore with the newest Blender version, hasn´t received an update in a long time.
    Layer Creator 2
    hasn´t received an update in a long time, does it even work?

All Blender Texturing Addons regardless how cool they might be are build upon a set of glaring issues.
    The Blender devs did in July 2023 an analysis and scope setting for the Texturing part of Blender;