Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique: 3D Prop Demo Reel

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi, I'm Jenn. I'm applying for 3d modeling positions in the gaming industry. I apply for entry level or generalist postings as I have no professional experience in the field. I'm looking for some input as to what I should do to improve my reel to break into the industry. Any advice is welcome! Here is the link for my 2023 demo reel. Thank you for your time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_-T4oTIa6A&t=2s

Replies

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThisisVictoriaZ polycounter
    Hi Jenn! Do you have a portfolio website? If not id highly recommend making one, there are lots of free options like making an art station account (there is a paid option but you don't necessarily have to have that when you're just getting started.) Having some high quality screenshots to go along with your videos of your scenes/props would be great, so that we can zoom in and really see all the cool stuff you've been making! 
  • Jenn3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice! I do have an ArtStation which I link in my resume. But it would be better to include some of those screenshots of workflow and detail within the reel. Love it. Thanks again!
  • Jenn3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Jenn! Do you have a portfolio website? If not id highly recommend making one, there are lots of free options like making an art station account (there is a paid option but you don't necessarily have to have that when you're just getting started.) Having some high quality screenshots to go along with your videos of your scenes/props would be great, so that we can zoom in and really see all the cool stuff you've been making! 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF7TK8B5MiY I added hi-res screenshots to my reel. If you see this, let me know what you think. You were so right haha! I think they add a lot to the reel. Thanks again for your input!   
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThisisVictoriaZ polycounter
    Looking much better! I think that your turn arounds (rotating models) may be spinning too quickly, its hard to actually see what's going on for some of the more complex models or how the light is interacting with your models/textures. I don't think it would hurt either to have a clickable link in the description leading to your artstation! I know its in the video too, and your resume, but put it everywhere! The easier it is for people to be able to see more of your work the better imo. I followed you on artstation, I'm looking forward to seeing your future projects! 
  • Jenn3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like my wife was correct about the turntable speed haha! I can slow them down for sure. That is a great point about light interaction and adding a clickable link. I followed you back on Artstation. Thanks again for your help. I've been working alone, so it's great having an outside opinion! Have a great day!