Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Feedback

Hey all, I'm looking for feedback and advice. I'm a self taught 3d artist trying to break into the games industry, here's my portfolio https://conorbeins.artstation.com/ any input is much appreciated.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I like your work :) I'm not a character artist, but I feel like anybody hiring a character artist would for sure want to see some human characters. Most of the characters you'd be doing would be human (probably), and right now your portfolio doesn't showcase any. Your characters all look like they're from the same art style as well, would be good to make some characters in different art styles, just to show you can.
  • Conouroboros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback, that all makes a lot of sense!
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I agree with the above, a vast majority of games feature human characters, so at bare minimum you have to show that you can do them. It will help you out a lot.

I think you have a lot of potential, here are some areas other than what was mentioned above you could improve on:
    - Either your material definition and/or your lighting needs more work everything has the same flat feel to it
    - You have an understanding of good flow, however I think there are areas where things could be better optimized and balanced in terms of density. I think you should also brush up on joint topology:
    - I would like to see a UV/texture sheet, it's a vital part of the workflow that you must show as you know. Especially as someone who is new and trying to break in, you have to show that you understand all parts of the process.
    - Not necessarily bad, however all of your modeling being from the same IP can greatly pigeon-hole you and won't get you as much attention unless you're planning on applying to the place that makes Oddworld. I would diversify just a bit.
    - My suggestion for your next project would be to find a concept of a human character you like, something that has well defined materials so you can really push and show that you understand how to make metal look like metal, plastic like plastic, flesh like flesh etc.

I hope these points help you and I wish you the best of luck!

• Conouroboros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the in-depth feedback and the topology links, I appreciate that!