Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need portfolio feedback, can someone help me?

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello everyone it's my first post.
I need feedback for my portfolio. I want to find a job as 3d artist in game industry but idk how good/bad my portfolio, is it enough to start looking for first work (and where, if it possible) or i need to more practice?
Thanks everyone for you answer!
Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/histam
This is all of my portfolio models 

Replies

• FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Your models are decent and lit nicely on their own... but they could use at least a really small diorama environment per object. Doesn't need to be complex. For example:

The first image of the portfolio piece of the axe could be sticking out on a tree stump, and the tree stump could be surrounded by a small piece of grass as a ground. Basically presenting each object in their own small world... and then rest of the images can be separate renders and closeups of each just like you already had.

Seems like you're working on game assets, so also showcasing wireframes, UVs and textures is important, so that the potential employer can see your skills at optimization. Just adding those to the end of images per portfolio piece is enough I think.
  • Histam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your models are decent and lit nicely on their own... but they could use at least a really small diorama environment per object. Doesn't need to be complex. For example:

The first image of the portfolio piece of the axe could be sticking out on a tree stump, and the tree stump could be surrounded by a small piece of grass as a ground. Basically presenting each object in their own small world... and then rest of the images can be separate renders and closeups of each just like you already had.

Seems like you're working on game assets, so also showcasing wireframes, UVs and textures is important, so that the potential employer can see your skills at optimization. Just adding those to the end of images per portfolio piece is enough I think.
    About last indent i full agree with you, idk why i don't do this earlier. But i think if i post thumbnail how you said "in small world" main model will be lost 
    from the field of view.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Histam said:
    About last indent i full agree with you, idk why i don't do this earlier. But i think if i post thumbnail how you said "in small world" main model will be lost 
    from the field of view.

Even with the small diorama environment, take a closer up render of the main object for the thumbnail anyway. It also helps to use a bit of depth of field to make the clear focus to the main object, while the near and far DoF of the diorama is slightly blurred. It doesn't need to be taken far away, since you're not showcasing the environment fully. It's just a background with a little bit of "storytelling" and immersion if I may say so.