Home Technical Talk

Blender / reference setup / scaling problem

Born_Jason
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Born_Jason polycounter lvl 4
1/ So basically i have this simple reference setup in photoshop for blender 
2/ I crop based on guide lines reference parts and export every as png 
3/ And just for problem showcasing, I will select only two images that I cropped "side view" and "front view" and exported from Photoshop

So they are both almost equal in height  / side view 585x234  and front view 380x235 
4/ I'm importing those as reference images in blender and get smth like this

clearly can see that heights for some reason are not matching even though they have equal heights 
5/ So question is: can I fix this image scaling issue in blender cause every time I am aligning my references from all views in photoshop perfectly I need to scale them again in blender 
I'm using blender 3.2 / P.S in Maya for example, I don't have this issue 
Images: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1OxjH4Jyvd1kq0H3Zk49J__KYbI6lxsX2 

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The Reference Image feature is probably more limited than what you expect, not considering pixels as absolute units.

Start by looking up the Blender documentation about it ; and then you'll most likely have to work with it as opposed to against it, by simply providing it non-cropped images. Make all your refs sit within squares (while still making the various views match of course) and then everything will likely match accordingly once imported as references.

Also just because the software has a reference image feature doesn't mean that you have to use it. You could also just apply the images as textures to 3D planes (although this will likely have different viewport properties/behavior from Reference Images, simlarly to how Image Planes don't behave exactly like textured planes).
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2
    Best thing is to use the same square size for all reference view images.. like so:

• Born_Jason
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Born_Jason polycounter lvl 4
    pior said:
    The Reference Image feature is probably more limited than what you expect, not considering pixels as absolute units.

Start by looking up the Blender documentation about it ; and then you'll most likely have to work with it as opposed to against it, by simply providing it non-cropped images. Make all your refs sit within squares (while still making the various views match of course) and then everything will likely match accordingly once imported as references.

Also just because the software has a reference image feature doesn't mean that you have to use it. You could also just apply the images as textures to 3D planes (although this will likely have different viewport properties/behavior from Reference Images, simlarly to how Image Planes don't behave exactly like textured planes).
    okidoki said:
    Best thing is to use the same square size for all reference view images.. like so:

Thx for tips