Home Technical Talk

Exporting from Maya to Cinema 4D

Offline / Send Message
Pinned

I wonder if somebody could help me, please. I’ve recently bought Cinema 4D (after years of using Maya) but I now need to get all of my models into C4D and am having some problems.

I tried exporting them as .fbx but when I add a texture the models end up with completely messed up geometry, there’s triangles jutting all over the place that cast odd shadows on the models. I also tried .obj but then the entire scene is just one object. I also tried .abc for animated scenes but some of the models appear to have a speckled appearance to them that wasn’t there before. If I view the model in the viewport it all appears to be okay.

Also if I apply a texture to one part of an imported model it applies it to the entire model because it sees it as one object, how can I get it to see each element of a model separately?

Also, none of the imported models will render in Red Shift.

Please can somebody help with this as I’ve got hundreds (if not thousands) of Maya models that I need to get into C4D.

Thank you

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Fbx should work fine. Could you show an example where it fails?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    C4D has a very stable import and export generally on FBX, this is 99% chance the export settings in Maya are set incorrectly, so you might need to go through the maya settings. If all meshes are combined then the export combined them

Use FBX, its just better than OBJ

Also you obviously need to set up new shaders, don't expect to just render them with the import shader. You need to take the textures and make a redshift shader.