Home Technical Talk

Help! Wire issue of corner in the middle of cylinder prop in Blender

Hi, 
This is my first writing here. 
While modeling, I found it edge problem of the corner. 
I'll show you some images, then you can notice, what I want to say. 

I want to have some space with a square shape in the middle of the cylinder. like this. 

But, see? that corner isn't sharp. 

But, when I made the square shape sharp, the corner of the square had a problem. l

So I changed several options. But I couldn't find nice solution.

Could you help me, please?

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    You  can do this  , but if it's for games you don't need to  care  about quad modelling and sub-D.   Just bake bevel shader on sharp edges  if you want  rounded edges .       Decades ago we just blur  normal map around the splits  and it was perfectly ok .
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    "You  can do this  , but if it's for games you don't need to  care  about quad modelling and sub-D.   Just bake bevel shader on sharp edges  if you want  rounded edges .       Decades ago we just blur  normal map around the splits  and it was perfectly ok ."

Indeed.

Nowadays I've noticed a few streamlined modeling solutions making their way onto the scene. So if the OP is interested in the material level shader, then I'd recommend grabbing the Zen BBQ addon (standard license) which I found pretty useful, introducing more flexibility adjusting variable radius parameters applied too separate hard edges, rather than solely rely on Blender's native feature set order of operations per se.