Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Overwatch 'Dorado' Map Environment

Offline / Send Message
Pinned

Hi! I'm Slime, a 3D artist specializing in the creation of environments. Currently, I'm deeply immersed in developing what I consider to be my most ambitious project to date – recreating the central part of the 'Dorado' map from Overwatch. My primary goal is to acquire the skills and knowledge necessary to reach the level of a junior 3D artist and actively contribute to the industry.

To ensure a robust learning experience, I'm excited to share that I am being mentored by Javiskau, 3D Environment Artist at 31st Union (liinks.co/javiskau). This invaluable guidance is propelling my professional and artistic growth.

This project is a long-term endeavor, and I plan to provide regular updates on the progress I make over time. I'm thrilled about this opportunity for growth and development, and I look forward to sharing my exciting journey with you. 

Stay tuned for updates!

Replies

• itsameslime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First, I created a small reference map to break down the entire map, making it easier for me to work on later. I divided it into props (from bigger to smaller), materials, and trims. 

Excuse me if there are parts in Spanish; initially, I didn't plan on sharing this process.  :s

• itsameslime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This was the first simple blockout I created. Since it was my first time using Unreal Engine, I had some difficulty getting the right proportions for each module, but it served as a foundation to work with. However, there were many parts that weren't accurate, and after receiving feedback, I focused on adjusting the sizes of everything to ensure it was right.
  • itsameslime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After some time of work, I achieved something closer to what I was looking for. Everything fit together, and the measurements were accurate. Some minor tweaks were needed, but the foundation was solid enough to start working on my trims and props.

• lemmymkan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lemmymkan polycounter lvl 3
    Really nice work, and cool to see the progress

Can you also show the working process of the textures and lights?
  • itsameslime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And this is the current state of the project; I'm working on the trimsheets. It's my first time using them, and the learning process is taking a bit longer, but I'm pleased with how they're turning out. There's still work to be done to bring more life to the texturing, but I'm already mapping the beams and columns to see how it looks within Unreal. Any feedback is welcome, and I'll try to update you with new progress as soon as I can!

• itsameslime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lemmymkan said:
    Really nice work, and cool to see the progress

Can you also show the working process of the textures and lights?
    Of course! I'll be delighted to share it! Right now, I'll be working on tileable materials, mesh trimsheets, etc. I'll leave the lighting for a more advanced stage of the project, but I'm more than happy to share it! :)
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThisisVictoriaZ polycounter
    excited to see where this goes! I love this map, they did a great job making it feel alive, i cant wait to see how you capture that!
  • itsameslime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    excited to see where this goes! I love this map, they did a great job making it feel alive, i cant wait to see how you capture that!
    Thank you so much for your comment! This was one of my favorite maps before starting this project, Overwatch team did a really good job here!
  • itsameslime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    🌟 New year, new update. Happy New Year!

During this past month, I have temporarily set aside materials and focused on perfecting the blocking and completing all the props for the environment. Currently, all the map props are done (except for the vegetation), but my intention is to add some unique ones or from other maps to bring more life to it and make it feel even more vibrant.

Adding the tower-shaped building in the background has, in my opinion, added much more depth, and I believe it has been a success. During the next month, I will work on the roof material to be able to add color to practically all the buildings (still WIP). 

Here are some more screenshots of how it's coming along. All objects will have Z-pass, so I have work ahead. If I haven't miscounted, I have almost 100 props in total. 

So far, this is the progress I've made. It's been a month of pure prop creation, and now it's time to go back to the materials, where everything will look much more beautiful! Thank you very much for reading, and I hope you enjoyed this update :)
  • itsameslime
    It's been some time since my last update, and I'm excited to share the latest developments in my environment with you! This month has been dedicated largely to the creation of new materials and the initial UV mapping

As I mentioned last month, the first one I started with was the roof tiles.
    Additionally, I created a mesh trim and individual tiles, which will help me achieve a more defined silhouette on the rooftops. (I've incorporated it into other mesh trims to optimize material usage).

And this is the result so far. As I've mentioned, there's still work to be done, which I will refine later on along with the texturing. :)
    Additionally, I've also worked on more materials. First, on one of the floor tile materials.
    And I've worked on two types of wood materials I plan to use: one with straight planks and another with cut pieces (including some variations like broken, dirtied, etc., of these as well).

And this has been the progress for this month. It's been a period focused on material production, so the advancements will become more noticeable as the months go by. Currently, I'm working on more materials, wood trims, and some individual rock props. I'll upload a post with the most significant updates as soon as I can. I've attached a couple of screenshots to show how the project is shaping up so far. Thank you very much for reading up to this point! :))