Home Technical Talk

What shortcuts do you use when modeling with a pen tablet in Maya?

yamato
node
Offline / Send Message
yamato node
I am thinking of modeling with a pen tablet instead of a mouse for various reasons.

What are the advantages of modeling with a pen tablet?

I would be very interested to know what shortcuts people actually use when modeling with a pen tablet to make it more efficient!

I look forward to your answers.

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    No shortcats at all.   A pen is immensely more convenient.   Especially if it's not  a huge sized tablet.   I m not using MAya although. Mostly Blender and sometimes 3d max.    
    it's so much more precision with a Shift +pen  to drive sliders  or  curve nodes   in Blender.  So  lesser of a strain on your wrist. 
    The only thing that  a tiny bit more convenient  with mouse is WASD  navigation because my pen has no wheel 
    to adjust speed.
  • yamato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yamato node
    gnoop said:
    No shortcats at all.   A pen is immensely more convenient.   Especially if it's not  a huge sized tablet.   I m not using MAya although. Mostly Blender and sometimes 3d max.    
    it's so much more precision with a Shift +pen  to drive sliders  or  curve nodes   in Blender.  So  lesser of a strain on your wrist. 
    The only thing that  a tiny bit more convenient  with mouse is WASD  navigation because my pen has no wheel 
    to adjust speed.
    Was the pen still more convenient。.

I too would like to improve my modeling with a pen tablet!

Did you use a pen-tab instead of a mouse from the beginning?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Having used both interchangeably for several years on Maya and max with both cintiq and intuos....

I used exactly the same set of shortcuts with the pen as I did when I used the mouse because I still had one hand free and a keyboard to poke 

Obviously I mapped middle mouse click to one of the pen buttons so I could actually operate a 3d app
  • yamato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yamato node
    poopipe said:
    Having used both interchangeably for several years on Maya and max with both cintiq and intuos....

I used exactly the same set of shortcuts with the pen as I did when I used the mouse because I still had one hand free and a keyboard to poke 

Obviously I mapped middle mouse click to one of the pen buttons so I could actually operate a 3d app
    Thank you for your response.

I guess I'll have to actually try it and work out my own shortcuts.

If you have any suggestions on how I could improve efficiency by doing this, please let me know!
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Dont forget marking menus. They are really powerful. If you need more than the standard create your own custom mms.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    those are nicer to use with the pen than the mouse imo. 

honestly though - your shortcut selection should be based on the work you do. eg. if you connect vertices a lot, learn where the default shortcut is and if you don't like it, change it.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    i'm not using a pen for modeling but i'll just mention in case its helpful that you should also look into custom shelves. I have it on a floating menu that way all the common tools can easily be reached from center of screen.
    it is similar principle as a marking menu, just that it stays in fixed position so I find it a little more ergonomic and dont have to remember as much. But if you use maya daily that won't be an issue for you.

this is the basic idea i try to use for customization of any appication I use. collect the common things and have them on a floating menu that i can position right next to where I am working. kind of like a painter using a palette.
  • yamato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yamato node
    Thank you all for your answers!

I will be using a pen to create shortcuts, etc. while modeling!