Home Technical Talk

Is it better to work with perspective on or off when sculpting a vigeogame character in Zbrush?

dsalin34
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
dsalin34 polycounter lvl 2

Is it better to work with perspective on or off when sculpting a vigeogame character in zbrush? if so, any spec/setting suggestions?

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    so here is the thing, zbrush has no camera/perspective, its all just a fake.
    That being said, the perspective is still better than using the orthographic mode, it will at least give you a rough idea what it will look like in the end.
    I mean, unless your game is isometric to begin with.
    if its supposed to be rendered in some engine, get it in as soon as you can, until you are pretty secure about the outcome
  • dsalin34
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction Neox, I appreciate you taking the time to share your expertise on this matter.
  • Rima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rima greentooth
    ZBrush's perspective is fake. Sometimes, you can find angles that demonstrate it.

That said, it's better than nothing. We see people with a perspective view; photos you might use for reference have it, too. You won't find any references that are perfectly orthographic or isometric, so if you switch your perspective off and try to reference comparing to those, it'll never end up correct.

You should use perspective and check from lots of different angles as you go. It wouldn't hurt to have a look at your model in a program with real perspective to double check it, too.
  • dsalin34
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot RimaModela . Makes me wonder which program/software offers the most real perspective.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    I guess this is a personal preference if you want to use it or not or if you want to copy something specific  
    I only found it useful for portraiture sculpting and even then only at the final stages
    You will have better result if you check your model in other software from time to time
    Knowing how something look without prospective is very valuable mainly for measurement sake , as prospective distort measurement You could use scan
    to see how things look without prospective
    Extra note : Also you have to know how much prospective to add in zbrush too much, too less or something close to human eye as all of them will give you different result
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Don't forget, you can have reference models in your scene to check and compare to.
    But as was already mentioned, in the end the character has to look good through the camera/in game, so best check in engine early and frequently. 
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    use perpective, but set the camera in the draw menu to 50 or 85, works well for me
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    ^ I'll usually use 85 focal length for humans. It's just going to be closer to a lot of photos you are probably using and it'll fisheye less at common distances to the mesh when you are sculpting..You'll just get used to ZBs perspective and how the camera looks in the end, but like mentioned above, checking in something with real perspective and lights can sure be interesting.