Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

opinion on topology of bunker.

msegarra12
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
msegarra12 polycounter lvl 2
I've been working to get back into 3d modeling for about 3 years.  ( I had a stroke in 2017 leaving me with half of my body having limited  having limited function, it's still improving but I found the razer naga and found i was able to bind keyboard keys to the side of the mouse (12 buttons).
would love to get some feedback!

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    i think in most cases you'll have easier time if the flloors and walls are separate pieces. then you don't need to run the edge loops from the windows across entire building. Like the floor can just be a rectangle with no subdivision at all. same thing for any walls that dont have windows. and walls with windows can be as you did but then the edges from the window corners just loops around to the other side.

even if you dont plan to make a modular kit for a game, its still probably going to be more efficient workflow to construct the building in units. this way you don't have to solve some many unique problems and can work more like an assembly line. So if the floor was composed of like 3 4x4 meter floor units, then you only had to UV and texture one section of floor and you can duplicate it around to be used in many different building configurations.

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! I would see the project through to the end and learn as you go. This geometry is non deforming, so I think the main concern would be to achieve a good shape/proportions and shading. If you plan to use vertex colors to blend textures, it makes sense to have a topology that supports this (evenly spread loops?).

Assuming it's game art, I recommend to check the environment early and frequently in engine, through the game camera and iterate from there until the space feels good (blockout). In my experience, environments are rarely produced in a linear fashion but instead must allow for some iteration (gameplay needs, art/narrative direction, optimization). Breaking an environment into repeating parts helps to keeps to reduce the work and at the same time increase detail (large simple meshes are broken up and detailed by repeating, more elaborate modules). Working with references (structures, weathering and dirt, story elements) helps to end up with a believable place.

Maybe you find some articles in the wiki insightful.
    Keep it up!
  • msegarra12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    msegarra12 polycounter lvl 2
    Alex_J said:
    i think in most cases you'll have easier time if the flloors and walls are separate pieces. then you don't need to run the edge loops from the windows across entire building. Like the floor can just be a rectangle with no subdivision at all. same thing for any walls that dont have windows. and walls with windows can be as you did but then the edges from the window corners just loops around to the other side.

even if you dont plan to make a modular kit for a game, its still probably going to be more efficient workflow to construct the building in units. this way you don't have to solve some many unique problems and can work more like an assembly line. So if the floor was composed of like 3 4x4 meter floor units, then you only had to UV and texture one section of floor and you can duplicate it around to be used in many different building configurations.

what does a modular kit for a game? like several reusable aseets for staging?, thank you everyone for the tips I'm learning more everyday because everyone in this field is so cool.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    There is a collection of articles and tutorials on the subject here:

how far you go with it depends on your final goal, but in general the principle of making re-useable parts will make for more efficient work when building environments that have a lot of repeating elements.