Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Hair cards focus - Hiroyuki Sanada Scorpion

KimTeroni
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
KimTeroni polycounter lvl 7
Hi!

I want to start this thread since I'm currently working on my degree project. It is a 10 weeks project where my  primary focus will be on the creation of hair cards, an area I have yet to explore. As an avid fan of Hiroyuki Sanada and Mortal Kombat, I was particularly thrilled to see him take on the role of Scorpion, one of my favorite characters. This has inspired me to tackle the task of crafting Scorpion's hair and potentially working on a full character representation of Hiroyuki later on but for now I'll start with a bust to do a likeness of Hiroyuki. 

I aim to shift my artistic style towards more realism for this project (quality target will be MK1 game), a departure from the stylized characters that currently dominate my portfolio. This endeavor is not only a personal passion but also an opportunity to diversify and enhance my portfolio.

This is the version of Scorpion I'm going for. 

My references.

First week was most about finding what area I wanted to focus on and come up with a project and gathering references.

In week 2 I blocked out the main shapes and tried to find his features on his left side. I started out from the DemoHead in Zbrush as I think it has good topology. Working from the lowest subdivision. 

General feedback and critique are always welcome! 

Replies

• KimTeroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And this is going into week 3. I have started to work asymetrical now and will start to add more volume in the next subdivision. 
    I'm having a bit hard time to find his right shapes around the eyes. 
  • KimTeroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Todays update!

I went up an suubdivision today to be able to add more volume to the mesh, I been going back and forth in those 2 subdivs. Most focus today has been around the eyes, chin and cheeks. 
  • KimTeroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I continue doing small tweaks for his jaw line and nose tip. Trying to break the straight line I have gave his jaw. Added more volume to his chin and underneat his mouth. I also changed the angle och the jaw and pushed back the ears.

I started to make a new volume sculpt for the hair, to match the hair style I want for final. 
    Here I try to find the prime shape in different angles. 

Not sure if I should include the blue and green mark in the same shape as orange or add another sphere and shape it. I will try this out tomorrow.

• KimTeroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been taking a bit of a break from the face and started to work more on the prime shapes of the hair volume sculpt. 
    Deciding where the bigger shapes should be, I'm working with multiple of references.

As soon as I'm done with prime shapes I will move on to secondary shapes and then tertiary. 
    I will leave the flyaways out from the volume sculpt. 

• KimTeroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to bump this up and continue on the project.
    I going to shorten down this project since I've lost a lot of weeks due to Covid sickness. 
    I mainly going to focus on finishing the hair and save the likness for later. 

Today I have been working on the volume sculpt for the hair and doing the secondary details.

• KimTeroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After I have played around with the Xgen tools in Maya I have created a sketch of the hair cards I'm going for. 

T0 = Extremly solid. Used to build volume and cover.
    T1 = Main bulk of volume
    T2 = Use to blend T1's together and add variance
    T3 = Further blending between cards
    T4 = Fly-away strands

The small ones I will use for the mustach, beard and eyebrows