Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Stylized creature based on concept

This is my first time sculpting something in Zbrush from scratch, and after a week this is what I have for the pre-retopo mesh. Attached is also the concept I'm basing it off. Can I have some critique as how to improve, for example in  the face/head region?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    i think your face may be too narrow, but its not a good idea to evaluate here in zbrush and keep making tons of changes, because there is too much difference between camera and renderers compared to where you'll render it. Unless you'll render it in zbrush, its better to evaluate the model wherever you are rendering it, and with same shaders you'll use for the final thing.

i think what you'll find is that when you are looking at it in your final renderer you'll want to do things like make one of the fins edges slightly sharper angle, for example. This sort of iterative change will be easier to do with a game resolution mesh, rather than high density sculpt. What you've done so far in zbrush is very handy for when you need to model some weird shapes and you dont want to think about topology. but once you get into the little tweaks to make a model like this perfect I think having a lower res version with straightforward topology will make your life easier.

so thats all to say my advice would be to go ahead and do a quick initial retopo and then start evaluating it in your renderer with your shader of choice, and then show tons of breakdown shots from many angles and it will be easy to see if you've nailed the concept or not.