Home Technical Talk

How model this work in Horizon Forbideon West?

Iud
Iud
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Iud polycounter lvl 2
Greetings everyone
Yesterday, i found this awesome work on website, Artstation.
So, i guess how modeled that work process.
But, Not surely how modeled this work.

The basket in Horizon Forbidden West appears to have undergone base modeling in Max or Maya, with detailed sculpting done in ZBrush. It seems that NanoMesh or IMM brushes were rarely used, and Was base each knot likely individually modeled in 3d model program without zbrush?

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    yeah i mean, sometimes it just quicker to brute force model it all, than trying to come up with a "smart" solution using nanomesh. i mean you could possibly use a base of nanomesh and then go in, adjust it, make it feel more organic and handmade.
    not sure how you come to the conclusion of it all being modelling max or maya tho. I mean, i would possibly do it this way. but the one software Kudos keeps posting in used softwares is in fact zBrush, ocassionally other things for lowpoly and texturing but on the HPs its all just zbrush. Not sure how representative that really is tho.
  • Iud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iud polycounter lvl 2
    Neox said:
    yeah i mean, sometimes it just quicker to brute force model it all, than trying to come up with a "smart" solution using nanomesh. i mean you could possibly use a base of nanomesh and then go in, adjust it, make it feel more organic and handmade.
    not sure how you come to the conclusion of it all being modelling max or maya tho. I mean, i would possibly do it this way. but the one software Kudos keeps posting in used softwares is in fact zBrush, ocassionally other things for lowpoly and texturing but on the HPs its all just zbrush. Not sure how representative that really is tho.
    Ops, I think I was too caught up in stereotypes when I asked that question :blush: . I should consider and explore various workflows. Thank you for the detailed explanation :)
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    my approach would be to make a dummy object for the basic volume and then the weaved strips should be a pretty quick matter of position a rectangle, subdivde it just enough to get it its weave shape, then duplicate with transform a few times. same process for the second layer of weave. then tweak everything and do a sculpt pass in zbrush.

only one i see nanomesh being maybe useful is for the leftmost item. but its gonna take an hour to figure out how to use it again but only 30 minutes to place things by hand.