Home Unreal Engine

Material Instance crashes Unreal 5

Asim7
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Asim7 polycounter lvl 8
I’ve been working on a Material in UE5.3, trying to make a autoMaterial for my landscape.

Following a bunch of tutorials I ended up with something that works and looks great imo.

However, one crucial node to combine the whole thing makes it so opening the Material Instance crashes Unreal.

If I remove the node, the Material looks bad but material Instance opens and no crashing. 

Anyone who is well versed in the shader graph who can help me troubleshoot? Perhaps i'm just combining these things in a very bad way.

The node marked in red is the one causing my Mat Instance to crash Unreal.

And this is the contents of that node

Is my setup just really bad? Should I use different nodes or any clue what I could change or fix?

Replies

• Hellfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellfire polycounter lvl 14
    In your MaterialFunction has you copy paste "Input" Nodes?
    Try to temporary remove the "Input" nodes from your MaterialFunction. And try the MaterialFunction without Inputs

• Asim7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asim7 polycounter lvl 8
    Hellfire said:
    In your MaterialFunction has you copy paste "Input" Nodes?
    Try to temporary remove the "Input" nodes from your MaterialFunction. And try the MaterialFunction without Inputs

Thanks, I tried that and I also tried remaking the function inside the material itself. Sadly I still get the error and crash.
    I can use it once, but I can't use it again later to combine it seems. 
    This is the function nodes only remade in the main Material.

If I only use it once for the top one, everything works fine, opening an InstanceMaterial dosn't crash UE but the material looks wrong. Adding the 2nd connection where I blend the two still works but then whenever I open an Instance to tweak stuff it crashes immidietly.

I'm just kind of lost on how to continue my material and finish my project :(
    Thanks for any tips or help anyone can provide to hopefully solve this issue.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I can't see anything in there that's inherently wrong - and cos you're saturating your output there shouldn't be any issues in the following function

do you get anything useful from the unreal crash logs ?