Home Technical Talk

How would I create a texture like this? Plastic jelly+glitter

meejeebee
node

I’m trying to create this plastic with glitters in and on it look- like those 90’s sparkly girls’ toys. How should I approach making this?

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    To me it look like car paint[pearl coating ] with transparency and a bit of peach fuzz
  • Klunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk ngon master
    think I'd start with the alpha and normals for the flecks.....

something like

both alpha for the normals and diffuse and a mask for the specular/metal/reflection effects
    and for the normals

and go from there as the rest is just clear tinted plastic
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    what klunk said .. using a clearcoat / thin film material if you have shader support for it

if you don't have shader support for clearcoat it's harder  - you can't use the normal map cos it'll make the surface look lumpy and you can't mess with roughness cos you'll lose the overall sheen.

The simplest option would probably be to max() the black and white noise with your specular(and metallic)  - that should give you sparkly bits where you see highlights but it won't really look right since areas outside highlights should also sparkle. 

To go any further you'd need to start doing lighting calculations against the normal map and feeding the result into emissive - that will probably be a bit limited (eg. you might only be able to have it react to one light)
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I would also add a grayscale channel and UV * something   to shift  and mess  UV for flakes  a bit    because with such scale  they will look repetitive as hell . While in smaller scale they would just disappear in  mip levels.