Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Texture feedback, 3D axe

triangle
Online / Send Message
BigMike813 triangle
Hello polycount, I've created this model in order to improve my texturing. I've been told I need to  improve the textures of my assets. In this asset I try to include more bespoke weathering to indicate how it was used, and include some small details to add storytelling elements.
It would be nice if some one of you could share some knowledge or feedback about the texturing of this model.
I appreciate in advance any advice or recommendation you can give me.
Here is my portfolio in case anyone wants to take a look: https://www.artstation.com/bigmike813

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    No critiques here, looks really good.
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    what kind of game is this for? If it's first person I'd personally be inclined to give the black tape some more geometry to make it stand out from the surface of the wood more; so like two loops top and bottom of the tape. I know you have that end bit there, but more would be good imo

Maybe push the spec highlights a bit more on the metal, hard to say though
    In general I think you did a good job

Some nit-picky things; it's much easier and cheaper to stamp maker's marks instead of raising them up the steel, basically what you did on the reverse side (green), and oftentimes with this sort of construction a bit of the shaft is left at the end, along with a wedge of steel or wood to secure it in place (purple) so that could also have more supporting geo... but depending on what reference you used you'll also find tools that are flush with the tool head, so I'm really not 100% sure about this

• BigMike813
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    BigMike813 triangle

@zetheros Thanks, appreciate you stopping by and posting helpful feedback. It is a portfolio piece, created as a hero asset for a first-person game.

I agree with what you mentioned about the belt; it could enhance the effect of wear over time on the asset. I will take it into account for upcoming projects.

I wasn't entirely convinced by the raised text either, but I wanted to include both variants. I think in subsequent models, I'll prefer details that go inwards as they look better.

My reference is flush with the tool head, but I do think leaving a little bit of shaft at the end will add more detail to the piece, making it more interesting. It's a detail that I will also consider incorporating in future projects.

• scottycharly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scottycharly polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with zetheros's suggestions about the black tape and the stamping.

I would also add that the wood handle looks very nice and realistic but the metal part does not look like metal. Cannot say weather you need to tweak your metalness and roughness to make it more beleivable or if your rendering setup lacks an interesting HDRI to create those reflexion that would make your metal looks metalic?

Also, I would put more care into your beauty shots. This part of the background looks weird and diminishes the value of your work. I also think the saturated red background is to vivid. I would look for something more neutral so that the axe is the center of the show.

Overall and intersting project. Hope you will post more if you ever improve on this project.

• BigMike813
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    BigMike813 triangle

Hello @scottycharly  Thanks for your comments and feedback, I just have started to work on a new version of the same model, it is basically the same but with the modifications that have been mentioned to me.

For the metal part I am going to reduce its roughness value a little at the edge of the edge so that the reflection of light can be better noticed. I will create the renders in a different scenario with different lighting.

Here is a preview
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Its good
    Lowpoly is nice but if this is for portfolio I want to be impressed
    Model me the weld on the back and some of the cracks on the wood
    If you want to show off optimization skills make a LOD

Its also a bit too evenly rough,  the tape also has too much even brown edge
  • BigMike813
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    BigMike813 triangle

Hello @scottycharly , I have just finished with the model. I ended up using the same scenario but with different lighting. I added more geometry to the black tape and the shaft, so now it raises a little bit, as @zetheros mentioned. The edge of the blade is now more reflective, and the maker's marks go inwards to the metal. For the beauty shots, I change a bit the position of the camera and rearrange the objects in the back. I also increased the intensity of the light.

P.S. I also modified the color edge that was noticeable in the tape border, as @Shrike  mentioned.