Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Seeking feedback for my WIP stylized UE5 environment.

triangle
Howdy!

I've been working on this UE5 scene on and off while learning Substance Designer, and finally got it to a state that I feel comfortable to ask feedback. I am relatively new to environment art and this time I decided to use exsisting concept instead of making my own.

So, the scene is loosely based on the concept by Aurelien Segeat. It's not supposed to be a 1 to 1 recreation, but I would appreciate any feedback on how to make it pop or just in general how to improve it. It's still missing VFX, animations and any other final touches (like the vertex painted walls), as I am still unsure about the current composition or which light direction works better.

Here are the screenshots:

Cheers!

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Yo yo, lookin good! Here are some tips;

Try not to have trees align with the slope of the ground. It makes the camera look tilted, and not like there is a slope.
    The lighting could use more creativity. Right now the bottom 1/3 is in shadow, and the top 2/3 is in the light. Would be nice if there was more chaotic lighting from the clouds.
    You got aliasing on the shadows on the house, up those light map resolutions!
    Your use of the edge detect damage on the green pillars of the house don't look good enough, they need some work.
    I'd love to see more wonk. All the structure is straight up and down or perfectly horizontal. It looks brand new.
    Textures on the house need a lot of work. Would help if you posted some references you're striving to match.
    If you want your trees lookin extra fuzzy, check out this tutorial on projecting normals; https://simonschreibt.de/gat/airborn-trees/
    I'd suggest possibly rotating the house structure so its slightly more pointed at the camera, to give it that 'high up' looming feel.
    Make sure to get some birds in the sky to add some life :) Could just be some simple white v shapes flapping around in the distance or somethin.
    Dirt texture could be made a bit better.

Good luck on the finished piece <3
  • HalfAsleepArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HalfAsleepArtist triangle
    Yo yo, lookin good! Here are some tips;

Try not to have trees align with the slope of the ground. It makes the camera look tilted, and not like there is a slope.
    The lighting could use more creativity. Right now the bottom 1/3 is in shadow, and the top 2/3 is in the light. Would be nice if there was more chaotic lighting from the clouds.
    You got aliasing on the shadows on the house, up those light map resolutions!
    Your use of the edge detect damage on the green pillars of the house don't look good enough, they need some work.
    I'd love to see more wonk. All the structure is straight up and down or perfectly horizontal. It looks brand new.
    Textures on the house need a lot of work. Would help if you posted some references you're striving to match.
    If you want your trees lookin extra fuzzy, check out this tutorial on projecting normals; https://simonschreibt.de/gat/airborn-trees/
    I'd suggest possibly rotating the house structure so its slightly more pointed at the camera, to give it that 'high up' looming feel.
    Make sure to get some birds in the sky to add some life :) Could just be some simple white v shapes flapping around in the distance or somethin.
    Dirt texture could be made a bit better.

Good luck on the finished piece <3
    Thank you for these tips and the feedback!

This is the main reference for (almost) everything in the scene: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/NyrXXd The textures do indeed need a second pass, but I guess I got carried away struggling with the composition. These are the textures I am currently using in the scene, but needs to be adjusted for UE: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/w04kvgI am actually using the "fluffy" tree method for my trees, but I need to play a bit more with the shaders as it doesn't clearly translate that they are supposed to be pine trees. And yes, as mentioned VFX is coming (including birds and wind whisps).
  • HalfAsleepArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was able to work a bit more on the scene and implement some of the changes. Apart from the textures needing a new pass, something else still feels a bit off, but I am unsure what exactly.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    feels like the sky doesn't belong with the ground in terms of art style. the way the grass is rendered and the silhouette of the trees has a sort of choppy feeling like an oil painting, but the sky is simplistic with clean lines.  maybe there is another skybox you could try that would make it feel more like one cohesive style.

The building feels like it lacks details to make it seem like a real place. Like the border trims are huuuuge painted beams I guess, but they feel more like osmething you'd use for blockout but replace with something more detailed later. Perhaps making them slightly imperfect might help also.

it may help as you model the thing to think about how person might actually have built it. it doesnt have to make sense its just a cartoon type of thing, but if you come up with some little stories as you go that will probably end up reading to the viewer like its a real place with history. So for instance when placing the trim maybe your absent minded builder suddenly realized they ran out of 2x10's and had to connect a few smaller pieces together. or maybe the deck started to sag after many years so a new support was added. Or the balcony was added as extension long after the original so its slightly different materials or something.

also, for a scene with like five trees, I am seeing the same silhouette repeated on them. maybe you can rotate them slightly differently, or have another tree variation you can sub in for a few.

the flag and the wind mill thing seem like they are in a bind pose. maybe could be at odd angles to make it seem that they are in motion.

• zetheros
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    I usually ask myself 'why?' when I'm unsure how to progress.

Why did the builders leave half of the building hanging when there's viable places to build all around on relatively flat ground? To make something look good, you need logic, and to gain logic, in this case you could study how buildings are made, and why/where they are built. If you want a building on stilts for instance, this would mean the surrounding landscape is inadequate for building upon; like marshland, swamps, or on the side of a very steep mountain, or possibly due to artificial limitations, like how you get overhangs on old english buildings due to property tax law being based on the size of your plot on x & z but not y. https://englandspuzzle.com/tudor-architecture/

The wheels connecting the belt to the turbine are too large, and would be energy inefficient compared to the mass of the sails. You're going for a stylized look, but even stylized art requires some logic to work visually.

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! You could paint over and manipulate your screenshot in an image editor to get new ideas and direct yourself.

Currently, I would say large area could use some subtle variation/break up. Both sky and ground have cool colors, maybe push ground towards warm to create some contrast between the two. Maybe some more color accents and groups of rocks or flowers. Additional elements can further support the feeling of wind current, like trees bending or some additional flags.

Keep it up!
  • HalfAsleepArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J said:
    feels like the sky doesn't belong with the ground in terms of art style...
    Thank you for the feedback and tips. You're right about the skybox, I should totally play around with it more or maybe change the leaf alpha to make the trees less blocky. The building is still in a sort of blockout phase, as the textures need a second pass and all of the models are pretty much just straight cubes. The flag and windmill are indeed in a bind pose as they are animated (which doesn't really show up in a screenshot).
    zetheros said:
    I usually ask myself 'why?' when I'm unsure how to progress...
    That's why I decided to post this here and ask for feedback, instead of banging my head against the wall. :P Also, I understand your point about logic, but I don't want to stray too far from the original concept art. I'll keep your tips in mind when I start iterating on the actual building.
    Fabi_G said:
    Hi! You could paint over and manipulate your screenshot in an image editor to get new ideas and direct yourself...
    Hi, and thanks for the feedback! I'm not very good at doing paintovers, although it's probably something I should learn at some point. The colors are from the original concept, which has a bit of a cold and saturated tone. As I mentioned above, I don't want to stray too much from it or include more colors in the existing palette since I want to limit myself to working within the given constraints. The trees and grass also have a animation / shader so make the scene more lively.
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I understand 2D might not be your forte, but I'd say it's not about making good looking illustrations, more about exploring and grasping ideas, fast and rough. Overpaints certainly a good tool and fun.

If you want to stay close to the concept, I think the sky has a gradient, which increases contrast to the gras. Plus there are also elements that pull the focus towards the structure. Rough overpaint:

In the concept, there also some lines in the gras, could be achieved by groupings of flowers. But the structure could be enhanced as well. I think part of the challenge is to adapt the original in a way that it stands on its own in 3d, so I wouldn't hesitate to play. Maybe the lift not being pulled up all the way could also make it's function more clear. But some things are also hard to tell in a still image.

Keep it up!
  • HalfAsleepArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G said:
    I understand 2D might not be your forte, but I'd say it's not about making good looking illustrations, more about exploring and grasping ideas, fast and rough. Overpaints certainly a good tool and fun...
    Yeah, I didn't mean that I should be producing industry-standard illustrations and shouldn't be so afraid of doing paintovers, even though I am not the greatest. Thanks for doing the paintover, much appreciated! I guess my answer came out a bit wrong, and I didn't mean I want to follow the concept to the book without making any of my design changes. 
  • HalfAsleepArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was finally able to put in some more work on this project. I think I have to start calling it done and move on to finishing it if I ever want it completed before the Christmas break. Next up is VFX and rendering~

• HalfAsleepArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After unfortunately hardware failure (having to wait for replacement parts) and taking a xmas break followed by getting sick afterward, I was finally able to continue working on the project. Here is the first (low-quality) test render:
    https://youtu.be/H6tkNDra2s0
    Next up is fixing minor tweaks I already spotted from the video and then settting up an Artstation page for the project.
  • HalfAsleepArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    progress has been slow but here is the (hopefully) final render and I can finally move on with this project  :#
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSke7kVLz4s
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThisisVictoriaZ polycounter
    Looking great! One thing that jumped out to me in this is that your lights are looking really hot on the paneling of the side of the building, making it hard to see your textures, and making them appear too flat. I'm not sure what your lighting setup is, if there's a point or spot light on the house, but it might be worth it to either tweak the lighting intensity values, or your roughness or specular map values. 

On that paneling texture its also hard to see the planks of wood, I think revisiting the normal and/or the ao maps would help it look like its actually made from wood planks. 
  • HalfAsleepArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great! One thing that jumped out to me in this is that your lights are looking really hot on the paneling of the side of the building, making it hard to see your textures...
    Heya, thanks for the feedback! I guess I was a bit too tired to spot that overblown light. Thanks for pointing it out =) Also, if you mean the brown walls with green stripes, those are not meant to be wooden planks, just regular paint. In case you missed it, the reference image can be found in the original post.
  • HalfAsleepArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here is the final render fresh out of rendering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK41ygEDRh4
    Tomorrow, it's (finally) time to set up ArtStation and post the project... :#

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Heyo, props for chipping away at the project!
    Some thoughts on the current state:

I think the highlight on the building ThisisVictoriaZ mentioned is still prominent and it makes the lighting/scene look a bit artificial.

It looks like you interpreted the green streaks as paint. I would have interpreted it as weathering from rain running down the facade and giving grounds for some mossy growth. If its paint I would question why the inhabitants would use such a different color? Generally, some foliage could be used to connect the structure with the environment. E.g. some climbers growing up, moss on walls and between roof tiles. 

The building looks a bit barren/simplistic. You can add variation to surfaces using masks (vertex painted, world projected, second UV channel). Modulate Color, roughness, normal strength, ... This is also a way to highlight certain areas.

With the camera getting close to the building, it can look flat and empty. A way to add fidelity would be to use some detail modules alongside the tiling materials. E.g. some individual rocks, or roof tiles that break up the silhouette. Such modules could potentially textured by mapping their UVs to the tiling textures. I believe going beyond the concept here is necessary to make it work in 3d with this camera.

But I understand that you worked for some time on this now and might also want to move on.
    Keep it up!
  • HalfAsleepArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G said:
    Heyo, props for chipping away at the project!
    Some thoughts on the current state:

Hello, thanks for providing further feedback. Your help has been super valuable throughout this project, much appreciated!

Thanks for pointing out the highlight. It seems like I forgot to adjust the bloom levels for the shot.. Also, I totally agree that there's more that I could do to make the building less barren. I'm already planning to do that for the next project, where I want to focus more on vertex painting and material blending.

With that in mind, would you recommend removing the zoom-in and vertical fly shots and just using the last shot where the camera zooms out, so the lack of details is less obvious?

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThisisVictoriaZ polycounter
    Looking great! One thing that jumped out to me in this is that your lights are looking really hot on the paneling of the side of the building, making it hard to see your textures...
    Heya, thanks for the feedback! I guess I was a bit too tired to spot that overblown light. Thanks for pointing it out =) Also, if you mean the brown walls with green stripes, those are not meant to be wooden planks, just regular paint. In case you missed it, the reference image can be found in the original post.
    Ah ok! I didn't see the original post so I didn't realize it was supposed to be chipping paint, with that I mind tho, if it isn't super obvious what material it is made of it may need to be revisited, as not everyone will look at the concept you worked from. I see that you're close to calling this done, so that something to keep in mind for future projects! I look forward to seeing the artstation post :) 
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    With that in mind, would you recommend removing the zoom-in and vertical fly shots and just using the last shot where the camera zooms out, so the lack of details is less obvious?

Hi! Yes, if you don't have the resources to improve the fidelity of the structure, I would leave out close up shots. Can add it back in at a later time if you decide to give the project another round.
  • HalfAsleepArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for pointing that out. After examining my other materials, you are correct as the wall plaster lacks the amount of detail the other ones have. I need to give it a new pass (which shouldn't be hard since I already have the other elements/nodes made for adding cracks etc).

Fabi_G said:
    I just realized the original concept includes some moss/vines and other elements I missed. I should add those, as I already have the moss material made for the stone pavement. Hopefully that should increase the fidelity. :)
  • HalfAsleepArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a little break from this project to participate in the global game jam. Here is the newest render with the previously mentioned changes and implementations. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abl_nQ7hRd0
  • HalfAsleepArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After so many back-and-forths and last minute changes, the project is finally out! :# Thanks to everyone who provided feedback and help!  <3
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Jv1PGm