Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio for Technical Artist (New Grad)

Hi guys! Here is my portfolio for technical artist, any feedback is appreciated!
https://www.artstation.com/eurekathurston

I just graduated from college this past June with a BA game design major. It’s been quite anxious over the past few months as I kept looking for jobs in the game industry and received no offer. I feel like the technical artist position is more like a role for experienced people who have already worked in the industry for years, since most of the tech art job posts I found require 3~5 years of experience or even more. I’ve been spending most of my free time learning about all the things about real time game rendering things, such as modeling, texturing, rendering pipeline, shaders, VFXs, and game engines, and I’m continuing learning more on these topics now and in the future. Tech art is kind of my dream job I guess, but it’s been 5 months since I graduated, and I still need my parents to pay my rent and everything else, it just does not feel good. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to keep looking for tech art jobs, or just broaden my choices and try to look for other positions in the industry. But that yields another problem, all I learnt are specific for preparing for tech art, I don’t even have a portfolio for other positions. All of these drive me crazy every single day.

I’m not sure if I’m doing the job research correctly. Most of the time, I stick with LinkedIn/Glassdoor/Indeed, and a google sheet job board (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eR2oAXOuflr8CZeGoz3JTrsgNj3KuefbdXJOmNtjEVM/edit#gid=0)  , WorkWithIndie, and the “Jobs” part when you search for a job position on Google. I’m not sure if there are other resources for the game industry or new grads. Please tell me if there actually are some other places to find jobs in the industry. 

So, feedback for my portfolio is more than welcome, career advice is more than welcome, if you want to contact me for an opportunity, that would be fantastic. Thank you!

Replies

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThisisVictoriaZ polycounter
    Hi! These blog posts might be helpful for you as far as finding more resources and information on finding a job in game dev, specifically tech art https://www.artstation.com/ninaklos/blog from what I know tech art is not easy to get into, but don't give up if its something you truly enjoy! One thing I noticed in your portfolio is that a lot of your posts only have a single image or video showing your work, its usually helpful for people who hire to be able to see breakdowns of what steps you took to achieve your end result. That way they know a bit about how your brain works, how you problem solve, etc. Good luck!
  • Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Hey,
    The portfolio has quite impressive things, although on first glance it dosnt look like technical art at all unless you click on everything and also read it
    Id put a title in every thumbnail maybe, like "PBR Shader in Unity" etc in the icon
    Also don't dilute it with random environment art assets like the church, you can have it as a backdrop
    You'll have no troubles finding something for sure but you can definitely improve your portfolio presentation and make things more consistent visually in terms of backdrops and in clarity of what actually is displayed. If I see PBR shader I need some details also. Technical art is about implementations, you should show a bit more than just final results