Home Technical Talk

What are your thoughts on modeling?

yamato
node
Offline / Send Message
yamato node
I am not very good at polygon modeling.

I am not good at polygon modeling, especially for objects that do not have clearly separated surfaces, such as an organic body.

I am not sure what steps to take to create a model, and I get lost. I want to do modeling with the right mindset and the right procedures, even if I don't get it right the first time.

So I would like to know what I should pay attention to when modeling and how I should think about modeling. In other words, I would like you to teach me the principles.

Also, if you know of any videos of organic modeling with the correct flow, please let us know.

Please note that I am not talking about sculptural modeling, but polygonal modeling.

We are looking forward to your answer.

Replies

• dimwalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dimwalker polycounter lvl 15
    Depends on a complexity I guess. You can model a human body without too much trouble, but creating a blobby monster with scales, horns, spikes and abstract mutated flesh formations is a whole different story. You are making it so much harder for yourself by dismissing sculpting. Imho, using sculpting for organics IS the right mindset.

If you don't want to learn zbrush/mudbox then at least use native sculpting features of your modeling software.

Without sculpting in any form I would break model into pieces that can be somewhat represented by primitives. Do quad low-poly base for those. Connect it into  a single piece. Then smooth/subdivide and tweak in several iterations, but I would advice against it.

• yamato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yamato node
    dimwalker said:
    Depends on a complexity I guess. You can model a human body without too much trouble, but creating a blobby monster with scales, horns, spikes and abstract mutated flesh formations is a whole different story. You are making it so much harder for yourself by dismissing sculpting. Imho, using sculpting for organics IS the right mindset.

If you don't want to learn zbrush/mudbox then at least use native sculpting features of your modeling software.

Without sculpting in any form I would break model into pieces that can be somewhat represented by primitives. Do quad low-poly base for those. Connect it into  a single piece. Then smooth/subdivide and tweak in several iterations, but I would advice against it.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess sculpting is still effective when it comes to organic modeling.

It is good to hear such an opinion.

But I'm not good at polycon modeling, even for things like Pokemon, so I don't think it's good that I just don't practice enough.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    start simple, do the basic shapes first, then go more and more detailled. its the same as with sculpting actually.

just pick some simple tasks and train/exercise with them. if you want, just go with pokemon designs.
    maybe set a timeframe, model, end, next one
    what worked great? what didnt, improve on the next one. look back on it a bit later

i personally prefer using a method i call silhouette modelling, never really enjoyed box modelling and going edge by edge focusses too much on topology right from the start, when it all should just be about shape, flow can come in later.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    ^ I work like that for exactly the same reasons. 
    It's totally applicable to hard surface work.

I do a lot of scaffolding as well - eg. I'll make a mesh purely so i can use it as a guide for another mesh or to generate splines I can loft with. 
    The main thing is to get the shape - you can worry about 'proper' topology and all that shit later. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    3d modelling tutorial youtube

3d sculpting tutorial youtube

3d hard surface tutorial youtube

If you are using a particular software add that to the google prompts above. If you have just started and have no idea about software you cant go wrong with Blender 3d:

Blender 3d download

• yamato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yamato node
    Thank you all for your replies.

Thank you for sharing the technique of silhouette modeling. I didn't know there was such a method.

I think I am getting too caught up in topology in some areas.

By the way, I use Maya 2020 and can also use Zbrush. I am currently studying Maya because it is the main software I use in my work.

I really enjoy hearing your stories about modeling. If you have any other recommendations for modeling techniques, I would be very grateful.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Nobody mentioned fun! and that's important too...otherwise can turn into an f'ing grind from go to woe.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It might also help you to see examples of what the end result looks like.

We have some good examples here that are worth studying as you work on your own organic low poly models:

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/BodyTopology
  • yamato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yamato node
    It might also help you to see examples of what the end result looks like.

We have some good examples here that are worth studying as you work on your own organic low poly models:

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/BodyTopology
    It is certainly a good learning experience to see the finished product!

I am now comparing the wireframe model with the model showing only the textures.

By doing so, I am studying what kind of wireframe modeling will build up the shading of the model.
  • iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    what poop said, shape 1st, "perfect" then save 2 copies then attempt the edits.
    I like it, but if anyone plans to ignore directions and attempt landing gigs, your mind should be product based and not "art" based, like a funnel/network on a production tread mill, next,next,next, "they" like that.
  • yamato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yamato node
    iam717 said:
    what poop said, shape 1st, "perfect" then save 2 copies then attempt the edits.
    I like it, but if anyone plans to ignore directions and attempt landing gigs, your mind should be product based and not "art" based, like a funnel/network on a production tread mill, next,next,next, "they" like that.
    After all, the first step is to create the form.

I will try to proceed with modeling that way.

It is a good study. Thank you for your answer.