Home Career & Education

Technical Animator or 3D Animator career

I am a student, but I have always been thinking about what kind of job I want to do after I graduate. I like both roles, but my approach to them is different. For me, 3D animation is more intuitive and natural for me, the process is enjoyable, while technical animation (rigging, scripting) is just something that I can understand and do. 

However, when I looked for internships (primarily in Europe), most game companies were looking for technical animators. I can't find any internship or job offer that was about animating so I am conflicted about which to choose. If I pick 3D animation, I assume breaking into the gaming industry will be harder, but the process of animating is something that I enjoy. But since technical animator has a bigger demand, it would mean that I can land an internship/job, but I fear that I am not this passionate about it and there could be a time when it could drain me. 

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It doesn't seem like you have many options really.

doing some rigging will make you a better animator and working in a production environment will make you a better Developer

At the end of a tech anim internship you'll be a more attractive candidate to a studio for any job than you would be if you didn't do it so if that's they best/only option you have, you might as well.
  • Rima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rima greentooth
    5sixsix_M said:
    I am a student, but I have always been thinking about what kind of job I want to do after I graduate. I like both roles, but my approach to them is different. For me, 3D animation is more intuitive and natural for me, the process is enjoyable, while technical animation (rigging, scripting) is just something that I can understand and do. 

However, when I looked for internships (primarily in Europe), most game companies were looking for technical animators. I can't find any internship or job offer that was about animating so I am conflicted about which to choose. If I pick 3D animation, I assume breaking into the gaming industry will be harder, but the process of animating is something that I enjoy. But since technical animator has a bigger demand, it would mean that I can land an internship/job, but I fear that I am not this passionate about it and there could be a time when it could drain me. 

Might it not increase your odds of eventually becoming an animator to first get your foot in the door? I can't imagine it's more difficult to pivot once you're established than it is to break into from scratch.
  • 5sixsix_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    It doesn't seem like you have many options really.

doing some rigging will make you a better animator and working in a production environment will make you a better Developer

At the end of a tech anim internship you'll be a more attractive candidate to a studio for any job than you would be if you didn't do it so if that's they best/only option you have, you might as well.
    This makes sense in practice. While I can only understand the most basic stuff about rigging, I am not exactly the best when it requires solving problems that appear during the rigging process. Oh well, I am still yet to graduate and have much to learn. Thanks!
  • 5sixsix_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might it not increase your odds of eventually becoming an animator to first get your foot in the door? I can't imagine it's more difficult to pivot once you're established than it is to break into from scratch.
    I haven't thought of this in that way, perhaps you might be right. The other reply I received reinforced this point further, so thanks!