Home Technical Talk

Insane cleanup

Hellgnome
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Hellgnome polycounter lvl 8
EDIT:  Seams there is no way to do exactly what I asked for:

Thanks to all who commented.

-This is the model I have to work with, it is a CT scan of a part, of a Femur bone. And I need to close these holes (Black areas/Where there are no faces).

As you can see on the image, some areas need to look like areas that are already ok. 
Yellow circled areas look as they should, areas with green circles needs to look like the yellow areas in some way, based on what is already there.

The red areas shoul also resemble the yellow areas, but with much more space between. As you can see, atm the red areas has a lot of flat geometry, and it needs to be 3 dimentional geo that is water tight.

So here is my question:

Is there any way to automate the process, can Maya do that or Zbrush?

Or is it only possible to clean this up, manually?-

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What’s the purpose and intended use for this model once your cleanup is complete? 

Filling in with cloned data is not going to match the real object anymore, so it won’t be reliable as a representation of the real thing, if that’s important in any way.

If none of this matters, I would suggest converting the scan into a volume like OpenVDB then you’ll have more tools a your disposal to edit the holes.

Houdini comes to mind, also 3ds Max can now edit VDBs.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    State of your current model is total garbage , I would not consider it useful or viable for any further manipulation
    I have million time better result with ct scan of the internet lol
    So you have few options: ask for better scan data /use different software to converting scan date to 3d model / have knowledge/ability how to sculpt real to life human bones / or cheat and get a good looking model and use this one as guide to morph it in to same shape
    Cleaning what you have will be waste of time

• Hellgnome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellgnome polycounter lvl 8
    What’s the purpose and intended use for this model once your cleanup is complete? 

Filling in with cloned data is not going to match the real object anymore, so it won’t be reliable as a representation of the real thing, if that’s important in any way.

If none of this matters, I would suggest converting the scan into a volume like OpenVDB then you’ll have more tools a your disposal to edit the holes.

Houdini comes to mind, also 3ds Max can now edit VDBs.
    Thank you so much for responding.

It just needs to resemble what it is (Spongoise and Cortical bone), it does not have to be 100% acurate, it just has to be convincing.

I´ll take a look at the: OpenVDB. Never heard of it before, but definitely worth a try.