Home Technical Talk

Blender Remesh Issue

Wolfer
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
Hi there I got a question. So i'm working on the high poly for this hilt for my sword. Now when I remesh it and it set for a high amount i keep getting all these artifacts i believe it is or so. I know i could smooth it all out but curious what is the cause of this. it where for this object i applied the mirror and the bevel. then i just do a remesh for it to sculp some design on it. I'm including picture of the wireframe and the progress that causes the result.

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! If I understand your question correctly and this is about the facetted look once re-meshed, that's expected behaviour with low-poly meshes. The resulting, dense mesh is the same shape as the low-poly just with a higher density, which results in a much more defined shading. To get a smooth surface you will have to apply subdiv modifier before the re-mesh.

A way to work that would allow for fast iterations would be to work with modifiers, which can be applied once the shapes are approved and a sculpting pass can be done to finalize. When working with modifiers it can make sense, to toggle their visibility to increase work performance, for example the re-mesh modifier. A thing to look out for before adding the remesh modifier, is that the mesh has its scale applied.
  • Wolfer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
    Ahhh so to understand, the reason I get these issue as shown in this picture here with the arrows pointed at it
    is expected because  dense mesh is the same shape as the low-poly just with a higher density that  results in the defined shading.

So subdiv modifier still came up with the same kind of shading. Yep i experimented with different modifiers and applied them then see how they look remesh but still have these issue or would change the shape that would mess up the baking. I will say one thing that is the long way that I could do is i can go around and smooth shading with the sculpt brush and that helps.  This is still helpful information for me :) 
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    If you see faceted shading on hi res you might  beveled  each edge first  accidentally or  give each edge  a crease  (shift+E)  or you just have  subdiv modifier in "simple" mode.  

• Wolfer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
    Ah thank you for the info I appreciate it.