Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need feedback for 3D character

Hey y'all! I've been making some characters for a 3D game. I'm trying to shoot for an art style similar to World of Warcraft. Another example would be the style used by N-hance studios. This latest model I worked on is supposed to be the first playable character.

Can you tell me what you think?

Let me know if you need more context to give feedback. Also, I just started 3D modeling earlier this year with no artistic background, so there may be some basic issues that I'm missing, too.

It's a dwarf. Every character is gonna get a 'weird' weapon - his is an axehead attached to his braided beard.

13,109 Triangles total
Mostly hand painted in blender along with a normal map, ambient occlusion map, and some specular/roughness for metal items

Thanks y'all!

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! Congrats on finishing the project!

I like the idea, however the readability of the design could be improved, from the silhouette but also the interior shapes. For example currently, the beard gets visually cut off by the dark braces. Sometimes using different materials can help to contrast layers against each other. Also I'd be careful with too much noise/contrast. Painting in highlights and using gradients, for example lighter values towards the face, you can direct the viewer. Here is a rough example how readability could be improved in my opinion:

As you cite Wow as inspiration, I would inspect their models and textures. Perhaps they don't even use normal maps. Also check out their proportions. Short arms can quickly result in a bit of a T-rex look, especially when moving. 

Currently the shading looks a bit soft in areas, like the edge of the blade. 

I think the presentation could use some better lighting.

There is also this style-guide for Dota 2 characters, maybe you find some inspiration there too.

Keep it up!
  • jern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much, Fabi! I'll start with the gradients and work my way from there ^.^