Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hello, I'm 16 years old and I'm doing 3D modeling. What can I learn or do to improve my skills?

helloMher
node
Online / Send Message
Pinned
helloMher node

Hello, I'm 16 years old and I'm doing 3D modeling. What can I learn or do to improve my skills?

Replies

• Vertrucio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Show your work.
  • helloMher
  • iam717
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    your fired!
    your rehired

the environment piece stands out, i'd say that looks best, i wouldn't know what to do, all the best.  (i was just going to leave the first comment but who knows what that would've done, i chuckled, I'd say keep exploring, your interests.)
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    you are 15, you can not even sign legal binding contracts. i doubt any legit company would go for this.

take your time, hone your skills. 3 years is a lot of time to become competitive. if you want to work for free to get more experience, maybe join some mod teams?
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    Did you make those vehicles?
  • helloMher
  • Grubber
    Offline / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 15
    Followed!
    Some solid work already in your portfolio.
    I would suggest to keep going, explore different subjects and techniques, find what you enjoy working on the most. Do not be afraid to ask questions.
    Also take breaks from time to time :)
  • helloMher
    thank you very much :)
  • nomzod
    Online / Send Message
    nomzod polycounter lvl 7
    Don't be afraid to get passionate, really really passionate about your craft. And by the same token don't be afraid that you aren't taking it seriously enough. Show it off when you're proud of it, and even when you aren't really.

You're young, and most of the way you get things is by asking your parents for them, yes? This is what I remember about being your age. Ask for tutorials for Christmas or birthdays. Showcase your work by making print and 3d gifts for the relatives who were generous. Tell your friends and relations all about what you are working on, offer to show them examples. Use it in your schoolwork when you can. There are probably art contests at your school, or show cases, maybe a yearly magazine? Enter your art in these. A lot of communitees have contest for the local youth for art, these would be good to enter too.

You never know when one of these adults, or one of your former classmates might be thinking to themselves, "We need someone who knows art. Who do I know who can do art? I know! That @helloMher guy! He was really devoted to his craft."

Or you might need to ask a relation for a loan for school, and here they are thinking "Well @helloMher has been showing me his artwork for the last 4 years. I've seen it improve and he already knows a lot. I'll spring for his new computer/software/semester of college, because I know he's committed."

There are three incredibly important things for every artist to have at every second. They are:
    1.) A current project
    2.) A plan to finish the current project
    3.) No really. Finish your projects
    4.) I'm serious. Finish what your start

Contests and things that take submissions are always a great way to move forward because they offer 1.) guidlines and 2.) a deadline. Those things a wonderful for getting your work done.
  • helloMher
    thanks for the good tips))

• HalfAsleepArtist
    From a portfolio point of view, if you have plans to work with real-time environments and/or models (games): add asset breakdowns. These should include for example, wireframe renders, texture map renders, etc. This will help showcase that you can create production-ready models and not just good looking still renders.
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    Show off those vehicles please. I want to see some close up shots. Thanks 
  • helloMher
  • helloMher
    but these cars have a lot of polygons and it's not a ready-to-play model. Also, there are artifacts and shading problems on it.

• kanga
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    producing that sort of thing at 15 ..  you'll do fine. 

keep posting work, ask for feedback, act on the feedback, success will happen
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    helloMher said:
    but these cars have a lot of polygons and it's not a ready-to-play model. Also, there are artifacts and shading problems on it.

shading aside. 
    72k for a car is not a lot if its for say a racing game. cars in racing games are in the hundreds of thousands of triangles nowadays and have been for a while.

as you see issues, go fix em :)
  • helloMher
    good,thanks for the tips))
  • helloMher
    Very excited to show this game-ready vintage tv. For this project, I used Blender, Substance Painter, and Marmoset Toolbag 4 
    https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/electronics/video/sony-trinitron-kv-1300e
  • DopiePanda
    Hey there! I'm a solo indie developer of a sci-fi atmospherical horror game set in space. I am only a few hundred hours into development so far, but I have many of the core mechanics in place and have started on some of the level design.

I am awful at 3D modelling, as my experience and knowledge has been focused on programming, so I will need a lot of help with 3D models.

I am looking to commission someone for relatively low poly models but with HD textures, much akin to the model of the TV you showed on the portfolio you linked previously in this thread.

I am looking to negotiate a price for doing multiple models at a time and I am also willing to pay half up front as a show of good faith.

If this is something you would like to consider as a way to get more experience and also getting paid at the same time please let me know! :)
  • helloMher
    Hey there! I'm a solo indie developer of a sci-fi atmospherical horror game set in space. I am only a few hundred hours into development so far, but I have many of the core mechanics in place and have started on some of the level design.

I am awful at 3D modelling, as my experience and knowledge has been focused on programming, so I will need a lot of help with 3D models.

I am looking to commission someone for relatively low poly models but with HD textures, much akin to the model of the TV you showed on the portfolio you linked previously in this thread.

I am looking to negotiate a price for doing multiple models at a time and I am also willing to pay half up front as a show of good faith.

If this is something you would like to consider as a way to get more experience and also getting paid at the same time please let me know! :)

Hey!

Thanks for reaching out — your game sounds amazing! I'd love to help with the models you need. Low-poly models with HD textures are totally my thing, so I think we can make something great together.

As for payment, I’d prefer to keep it simple: once I create the models and you’re happy with them, you can pay me then. That way, you'll feel more comfortable with the results before committing.

Let me know what kinds of models you need, and we can get started!

Looking forward to hearing more from you! 😊

Best,
    Mher

• DopiePanda
    Sounds good! I'm currently on a small vacation, but will be back tomorrow evening. 

When I get back I'll send you more info on the game, a video showing the current state of the game, along with specifics on what models are needed :)

Looking forward to working with you on this!
  • helloMher
    Sounds good! I'm currently on a small vacation, but will be back tomorrow evening. 

When I get back I'll send you more info on the game, a video showing the current state of the game, along with specifics on what models are needed :)

Looking forward to working with you on this!
    Enjoy your vacation! 😊 Looking forward to the details when you're back!