Home Adobe Substance

Can Substance painter upscale from 2k to 4k when exporting?

Jazon99
node
Offline / Send Message
Jazon99 node
Hi! 

I watched some tutorials, where they were texturing landscapes, tiling a lot at 2k and then exporting at 4k. Usually I would say upscaling image cant be done at least not any detail gain, but I don't know if Substance painter can do it? 

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! You can work in a lower resolution for better performance but then export the textures with a higher resolution.

For texturing landscapes or large surfaces check out the polycount wiki for techniques and use the forums search function to find related threads.

A simple approach to reduce visible repetition on large areas would be to mix in macro textures or fade out detail at a distance in the material.

Good luck!
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Painter doesn't upscale the export texture, it reprocesses the layer stack at the output resolution and bakes it to texture. 
    So.. anything that supports a higher texel density than your 2k texture will gain detail if you export at 4k so in that sense 

What won't benefit is stuff you paint manually (masks etc.)  or any bitmap resource (eg bakes) - that will all be upscaled conventionally and will thus get blurred a bit. 
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    IMO  when you upscale   your textures wouldn't look better     because most of the noises are not really up-scaling properly and  you start to see the details  you haven't before because they  were dissolving in between  pixels and invisible   .   Now they are not and usually they doesn't look good,.  Reveal  their procedural artificial nature .   Repeating patterns etc.
    it's cool idea to work in low res and get  hi res images  but it never really worked for me.   Just my experience.    I rather downscale  usually.