Home General Discussion

3D artist with chronic illness (new community proposition)

Hey! I know people generally don't want to listen about subjects like illness and all the things that go along with it. Being healthy is almost synonymous with energetic and potent, and everyone knows that crunch culture doesn't match well with health challenges.
When I've gotten sick few years ago, I didn't think about it. I prefered to think, that not every door are closed for me and I can start something new, even in middle age and being diagnosed with uncurable disease. So I've started to aquire knowledge in my new, slow tempo. I was learning 3D software on better days. However when I finally started to make new contacts online, I was shocked how chronic illness can make you different from others and how isolated and lost one can feel.
That's why I've started research disability in context of making art and games. To my surprise, I've only found few persons so far, courage enough to share their experiences in that matter.
So, I've figured out I'd create Discord server for 3D artists with any kind of disabilities, where everyone can chat about their art and about ideas how to cope or rant about how hard it can be, without worries of being judged. And for those who want to collabs with ppl with similar problems.
I hope it's OK with Mod, if I encourage anyone with chronic illness to DM me, in case someone would like to join.
(2D concept artists and gamedevs are welcomed as well).
Thanks!

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    sounds great, good luck to you with that. I am sure plenty of people will be interested, but maybe a bit reluctant to share anything personal. I think having it on Discord is ideal
    I have not got a serious illness, but had covid for the last 3 weeks and its was so tough, couldn't do any work couldn't even look at my tablet or sleep/eat

Must be really hard suffering from a long term illness and I wish you well.  I am 56 , so I know at my age people spend most of their time going to hospital or doctors appointments :) I have been lucky so far, but the covid really knocked me out.

• JustOrdinaryUser
    Ruz said:
    sounds great, good luck to you with that. I am sure plenty of people will be interested, but maybe a bit reluctant to share anything personal. I think having it on Discord is ideal
    I have not got a serious illness, but had covid for the last 3 weeks and its was so tough, couldn't do any work couldn't even look at my tablet or sleep/eat

Must be really hard suffering from a long term illness and I wish you well.  I am 56 , so I know at my age people spend most of their time going to hospital or doctors appointments :) I have been lucky so far, but the covid really knocked me out.

Hey, thanks a lot :) I haven't recieved many messages so far, but maybe it's a good sign, perhaps ppl here are just healthy and doing fine.
    Btw, I feel you, covid terribly sucks... Wish you quick recovery!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah, those young healthy games artists  suck  - hope they stay off my lawn :)
    anyway good luck to you man
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I support this effort! It’s great you’re reaching out to others on this.

I think we’d be fine with you sharing a link to the server here, if you wanted to do it publicly. Also fine to stick to DMs if you prefer that too.
  • JustOrdinaryUser
    Thanks, Eric, great to hear that :) Ok, I drop a link here: https://discord.gg/tFD6rezRj