Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for feedback on a renaissance bar for a third-person game :)

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello everyone I hope your all doing well out there. I'm working on a renaissance bar for a third-person game and was wondering if there is any thing I need to change or add things to it, in your guys opinion?

The polygon budget is 50,000 tri's I got to about 48,128 tri's as well it has not been uv unraped yet :)

Screenshots in UE5

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    probably reference to compare it against. I dunno what a renaissance bar is exactly.

i'd also recommend to forget the optimization budget if you are trying to work on it in a creative headspace. just put whatver you want in there without restriction. once you are happy with the art then you can shift your thought process and look at how to lean it out if necessary.

i'm not a super techy guy but a hard triangle limit seems a bit arbitrary to me. It's not really the thing that is going to slow your scene down in my experience. the most important thing is that when player walks in their eyes should light up and think "wow this is fucking cool". So anything which gets in your way to accomplish that i think shove it aside until you get to that first and most important goal.
  • Damian95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, mate and ye the only thing my professor has given me is to make a "Rabelaisian/Renaissance bar. Your Polygon budget is 50,000 tri's, and you're only allowed to have 4 texture maps, not higher than 2k, so there's not a lot to work with and not a lot of references to compare since the time period is 1400s to 1500s, and there is not a lot from that time about bars, I'm afrade :) 

so all I have been left with is history books, renaissance architecture, and my imagination, which seem to work out just fine. I also find the hard triangle limit to bit arbitrary. I don't need a poly budget for a wine glass because I'm not going to make it 5 million tri's; that would be absurd. As long as you keep it within reason, it will be fine, but hey I'm not the professor all I can do is follow orders and don't go out of what they consider to be the industry standard.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    ah i see, its a school project so you just got to follow the rules.

for reference you might be able to find some modern restaurants / bars that are in older buildings in europe. like in italy i remember going to a few bars that were in the basement of old buildings. the architecture of a lot of those buildings might be that old or close.