Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment / Prop Artist portfolio; Looking for my first job

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
coolguyslims polycounter lvl 2
I've come to a point where I consider my portfolio complete enough to land me a job in the industry. What do you all think?

https://www.artstation.com/ethanrichards01

GROB-06 is my most recent project that is supposed to showcase a proficiency in environment creation within UE5. Honestly this was my least favorite project to work on. I don't really like creating environments with no gameplay aspects to take into consideration. I got burned out working on this late into development and just decided to skip a few of the assets. I'm not super happy with the result, but the feedback has been pretty positive. I hope it's good enough to impress hiring managers. I think for future environments I'll go back to my roots and create Counter Strike 2 maps in Source 2 with custom assets. Or maybe just smaller dioramas in UE5.

The vegetation thumbnail was really fun to work on. I had a blast learning the new engine and this kind of workflow. Sculpting the rocks was a lot of fun and I was very pleased with the result. I know it's not that crazy of a project, but it's there to reflect a capacity for creating vegetation and some basic shaders.

The MPX project is the one I think looks the best. This was made a long time ago when I just had fun creating props. Eventually I had to move on to environments, but I enjoyed my time trying to push myself as far as possible with this project. It felt good to just work on something without having to follow a tutorial or learn something new, although maybe my time could've been better spent.

Last project is just the first thing I made that I consider a professional attempt at 3D art. I was still new to PBR texturing and baking meshes, so I was blown away with the result when I finished this. It was probably one of my favorite experiences seeing how well it turned out back then. I know it's not the greatest piece in the world, but my expectations were pretty low at the time as I was still pretty new to the whole thing.

In the end I feel like my portfolio shows off all the necessary skills a hiring manager would want to see for an environment artist. Whether those items are quality enough is up to you. My last project was a little annoying to work on. I think I prefer a more natural environment compared to a hard surface environment, but I'm not sure. My next portfolio piece will be a small Counter Strike 2 deathmatch map. Creating maps for CS:GO was what got me started with design and 3D art, and is what I really enjoy. This time I can create an environment that looks great because of Source 2 and it can be a real professional attempt at a CS2 map. I'd also like to try and replicate Valve's art style to make my assets mix well with the prefabs that are already included with Source 2. It just feels so much better to engage with an environment you created rather than just looking at an image.

Please tell me what you think!

Replies

• MagitonArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagitonArt keyframe
    Hey man, great stuff! Looks like you've put a lot of work into this.

I am neither a hiring manager nor an experienced environment artist, but from a Tech Art point of view I would like to see your Wireframe, UV's, Textures, and sadly, you don't have any of that in your portfolio. I know it probably wasn't intentional, but it can be a red flag when looking for new artists. 

The GROB-06 scene that you build in UE5 for real-time applications. Maybe you could show some walkthrough so we can see the performance on that?

All those things would be a great addition in your portfolio and help impress anyone who would be looking at it. Because yes, we want to have nice art in games, but we also need the game to run.

Hope this helps!
    Have a good one
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks good :) Your vegetation post is your weakest atm. The grass looks super fuzzy on the rocks, the rock texturing is a bit lackluster, and the rock sculpt/shapes don't look very convincing. Kinda looks like crumpled up fabric in the rolling video. Just like Magiton mentioned, I'd want to see wireframes, high poly, textures, UVs, etc. All in all though, good portfolio. Keep on truckin, and apply around!
  • coolguyslims
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the advice! I'm applying to a lot of jobs now so I'm hoping to hear back soon. I heard it's a difficult time to get hired, especially for people with no professional experience.
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Hey, I think you need to work on materials. I'm not an environment artist, but I've seen stuff. My company sometimes uses environment assets from https://www.textures.com/, and I think it's a decent baseline to compare yourself to. I think your environment art still needs work to be competitive, but there's no harm in sending out applications.

What I'd do if I were in your shoes is download some really high fidelity materials and props and figure out how to reverse engineer them.

Destiny 2 also has really good examples of level flow and design IMO.

• coolguyslims
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @zetheros I just added a material project to my portfolio, thank you for the advice!  :3
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/49xeb2

• zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    nice! keep at it. Your cobbles seem a bit melty/smooth, maybe the specularity map needs adjustment, I'm not sure. IMO rocks are really much more difficult to make than they seem; eons of geological history is required to make each rock. If you search for cobble there's a few good examples you can look at https://www.textures.com/search?q=cobble

don't forget to check out UE5 more, there's new stuff like lumen and nanite, but also take advantage of the asset store, as well as quixel assets, height-based textures, speedtree, landmass creation, terrain masking, terrain blend brushes, tilesets & modular buildings, there's a lot of really cool stuff to learn as an environment artist now that I think about it