Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Asking for portfolio critique and advice

Hello everybody!

I've been learning 3D for over a year and aspire to enter the game development industry by working in a game studio or an outsourcing company. Currently, I aim to become a prop artist and potentially transition into an environment artist in the future (hopefully, when my computer stops shutting down on me when I launch Unreal Engine, haha).

However, I haven't had any luck finding a job for the past couple of months. Could you please provide feedback on my portfolio? What should I improve? Should I model guns or vehicles even if I'm not really into them?

Additionally, I'm considering joining some kind of modding team to gain experience. Is this a good idea? Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks for your replies!

My ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/user-6559734

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey Leonid, nice to meet ya :) First off lemme just say, you have a nice portfolio. I would consider you hire-able. Please don't get discouraged; the industry is in a slump at the moment, and it is quite difficult to find jobs. Lots of layoffs, so your portfolio is competing against a lot of people with plenty of pro experience. I'll give some quick tips for you to keep in mind going forward;

- Higher poly count is ok with your portfolio. If you have something like that cool quadrapod of yours, it would be nice seeing more polygons in the round parts.
    - Would be nice to see a render of your high poly mesh which you are baking from. That could help get jobs in other places, like animation.
    - Something like the phone booth tape could have tiling texture, to save on texture map space. Might not want to have 4 different UV sets for a phone booth.
    - Its OK, especially for your folio, to have a slightly higher poly count and use less reallllllly long triangles. Not everything has to be 100% minimized.

I think you would be good to work on an environment. Keep pushing forward and don't get discouraged if people aren't reaching out about jobs yet. Good luck buddy :)<3
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    From a hard surface perspective, a lot of your portfolio work is boxier than I'd like to see. Take a look at the original Aliens motion tracker and look at how there's a lot of different forms jammed together to make something that's still a bit boxy, but has both big and small bevels, and parts going off in different angles.

Likewise, a lot of the wear you place is everywhere on the model instead of artistic or realistic places. In a lot of places the entire edge has wear.

But yeah, I feel that slump in the industry too as I'm unable to find work either for months now, and like you, I also get people saying good things about my portfolio, so they're not just saying to be nice. There really is a BIG slump in the industry and everyone's really just hiring all the very experienced people that just got laid off. Keep at it, apply all the critique you can get and work up to producing senior level work. Get these models in engine with small scenes and such.