Home Unreal Engine

Multiple UV normal blending

My aim is to use a multi-UV workflow to blend between the normals of unique sculpted bake of large assets which would be in one UV channel and a tiling texture in the other while blending them together. What is the best technique to achieve this

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! What kind of large assets, organic or hard-surface?

If I remember correctly, in Unreal tangent basis gets generated only for UV0, which make blending normal maps based on 2 UV sets not applicable by default (search for something like "ue normal map on uv1" and you will find some threads and workarounds). Or just make your own test.

Some other options:
    • Use unique macro detail maps and tiling maps both on UV0. Put seams where they are least visible. Additionally use world projected masks.
    • Large meshes can be detailed with smaller scale modules. Lots of problems can be solved with the design. Like organic intersections on natural assets or trims on man made structures. For natural transitions best read up on blending methods.
    • Similarly, details can be added using mesh decals, e.g. corners and damage. Useful with hard-surface/ human made objects. (https://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC2/Using+Decals+for+Destroyed+Structures)
    • If you were to make use of Nanite, I wonder if the the macro details can't be put into the geometry and asset specific masks stored in vertex color. Not taking about super dense meshes straight from Zbrush, but optimized ones that have just the amount of geo neccessary for shading and masks.

Don't forget out to check out the Polycount wiki and use the search function of the forum to find related threads.
    I'd try to keep it simple. Much success!
  • Chuk1000