Home Technical Talk

Anyone w CPU 5.5-6.0 clock speeds to help run a PS test?

gene098
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
gene098 polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys ,

Does anyone have a cpu that has clock speeds of 5.5-6.0? (Even if being overclocked)

If so, I would like to ask if you could do a quick test in Photoshop, opening a new PSB file (20x29in, 600ppi, RGB 16bit)

And using a hard round at med & big size (compared to canvas as a whole)

start dragging around the canvas (doing dots as well) just to see if such a high clock speed can render the brush without lag.

I’m debating on whether or not to upgrade and so far a 3.2-> 4.2ghz upgrade hasn’t changed the lag for that size doc.

—————

Btw if possible could you do a quick screencaps as well just so we can see what the lag if any looks like?

Here’s mine so far at 4.2ghz

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    You need to specify the brush settings, in particular Flow (that is to say : the density of stamps that are laid down by the brush as it gets dragged) and Spacing (the distance multiplier between these stamps). Otherwise no performance comparison can possibly be made.
  • gene098
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:
    You need to specify the brush settings, in particular Flow (that is to say : the density of stamps that are laid down by the brush as it gets dragged) and Spacing (the distance multiplier between these stamps). Otherwise no performance comparison can possibly be made.
    Hello, its the basic PS hard round brush not soft round, no adjustments were made to it, so it is standard across all PS users
    Specs were updated above, and i upgraded from 1700x
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Not sure if it's the cause of the issue, but your RAM is very slow; You should be using DDR4 3200 or 3600 at CL16 (with XMP/DOCP enabled in bios). Also make sure you have OpenGL enabled in Photoshop (Edit > Preferences > Performance).
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    You still need to specify these parameters though. Otherwise you will get incorrect results from users who don't realize they changed their settings, and/or, will end up with a lesser sample size because some users don't necessarily have the default brush.
    At the very least, specify in full detail how a participant is expected to reset their brush to fit what you need (by specifying which ABR has it).

Case in point : brush settings do not affect Flow (at least in certain versions of PS for sure). Meaning that even if someone uses the exact same brush as you do, there is no reason for them to have the same Flow, since this parameter doesn't carry.

You happen to have yours set to 70% in your video. Is that the value you want people to use ?
    Anyways - at the end of the day I think that if you really need these big strokes on a highres canvas, your best bet is probably to augment Brush Spacing until it feels acceptable.
  • gene098
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:
    You still need to specify these parameters though. Otherwise you will get incorrect results from users who don't realize they changed their settings, and/or, will end up with a lesser sample size because some users don't necessarily have the default brush.
    At the very least, specify in full detail how a participant is expected to reset their brush to fit what you need (by specifying which ABR has it).

Case in point : brush settings do not affect Flow (at least in certain versions of PS for sure). Meaning that even if someone uses the exact same brush as you do, there is no reason for them to have the same Flow, since this parameter doesn't carry.

You happen to have yours set to 70% in your video. Is that the value you want people to use ?
    Anyways - at the end of the day I think that if you really need these big strokes on a highres canvas, your best bet is probably to augment Brush Spacing until it feels acceptable.

I see, i appreciate it, and yes everything exactly as the video
    for anyone with a cpu stronger than mine that could run a test 
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Of course - but your video does not indicate the value for Spacing.