Home General Discussion

Tim Sweeney says Unreal might move to a "seat based software model" in 2024

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Unreal looks like its going to move to a "seat based software model" like Maya/Photoshop in 2024

If you skip to around six minutes Tim Sweeney explains the role out.

Tim reminds me of James Halliday, I wonder if Ernest Cline based the fictional character from Ready Player One on Tim? Its such an amazing film, just watched it again the other day. :) 

Replies

• zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    he says they're mostly targeting large companies like the automotive industry and  'wont affect game developers', but it's a good thing to keep an eye on. Engine agnostic workflows are a good idea for anyone making games these days imo
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    So Epic needs money and hence is firing people and restructuring their business. I imagine the move to their new campus (that whole former shopping mall they've bought a while back) in 2024 is still on though? IF so bit unfortunate to level up in terms of headquarters at a time when the company is struggling.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I can't hear a word he's saying in that video  - if he contradicts any of the folllowing, please let me know

I got the impression that epic are cutting off fat they put on over the covid/fortnite bubble rather than panicking cos they have no money.  Most of the losses are from acquisitions aren't they?  I could be wrong, haven't been keeping up particularly closely. 

I can't see this as a bad thing really. There's a lot of people making money off the engine without Epic getting paid and if Epic want to make more money I'm a lot happier with the idea of a transparent and clear licensing model for non-game use than I am with what their competition pulled recently

I can't see them charging for hobbyist use - or indeed changing their game licensing model. Their whole engine business is built on having as many unreal users as possible in the wild.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    We do clickbait now
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the title there Neil, lol. You know as well as anyone it was never free to begin with.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Okay I have edited the title but from what I hear it looks like its going to happen. 
    Maya is $225 USD per month, I just hope indie and education "seat based software model" is free/cheep as Maya is £300 per year UK / $305.00 US.
    That even seems off £300 UK converted to US should be $365.82?
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

"What will change is the pricing model for Unreal Engine customers outside of game development. This will affect automotive, film, and other industries."

Edit:
    I also think from my understanding he's re-positioning the company, to move into the metaverse space as well - but anyway as long as I've continued access to UE4 just for hobbyist mucking around stuff, then I'm happy as a pig in shit  :#
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    industries like film, automotive, product visualization currently pay literally nothing to use Unreal, as I understand it the move to seat-based subscription is primarily for those industries and not for games. So it actually makes a lot of sense, that they're just ACTUALLY CHARGING PEOPLE for using their software in other industries now. That's basically what this is. I remember reading somewhere that they stated games licensing isnt changing.