Home Unity

First Environment in Unity VR. Looking for technical advice....

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
LeeRay polycounter lvl 2
Hi
I'm an experienced 3D artist wanting to get more involved in VR dev, games, experiences, simulation, I don't really mind.
I set myself the task of developing a VR gallery to showcase my work. Initially it was just going to be a standard space with walls and some mood lighting around the work, but it kind of snowballed into an interior based on one of my older concept pieces. A Space station of sorts.
I'm currently freelance so work remotely most of the time and it's not unusual to find myself in a dead end regarding questions that pop up when about Unity and trying to figure out the limitations of VR in general.
Questions that could be easily answered if a coder was sitting behind me, but alas, there isn't.
So I'm posting this across a few forums in the hope of connecting with coders and artists who have more experience in this field and could take the time to help me out wrapping my head around how best to do things in the VR/AR world.
I've posted a short capture of walking around the room I've built and demonstrating my attempt at low gravity simulation. It's running on a pretty ancient i5 system with 16gb of RAM, but I do have an entry level RTX card which I'm guessing is doing most of the real time heavy lifting here.
I know I'm committing the sin of a single Real Time light casting shadows which is a big NO for systems like the Quest, but I'm probably OK on the polygon count. I honestly don't know.
There's a lot of placeholder material in there too. I'm in the process of recreating the materials of the models on display. Hence, the generic material on them all at the moment.
I've been advised that a 90FPS is the Holy Grail to aim for. I haven't checked this yet, as I need to figure out how to get the Stats onscreen while I'm running it. Any suggestions on that front?
For the sake of variety, the next environment I'm starting is a more conventional company boardroom. A shameless attempt to get work with somewhere like META or similar.
Thanks for reading.
leerayartdesign@gmail.com