Home Technical Talk

How to pose large sleeves?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
AmShaegar polycounter lvl 4
Hey there,

I'm currently working on a real-time model of Saruman the white and I'm running into a bit of trouble with the sleeves.

I've tried a couple of solutions from running a simulation in unreal engine to get the sleeves into poses I want.

I don't have much knowledge when it comes to rigging or skinning so I've tried to create a set of bones to control the sleeves but it isn't working out so well

I've also attempted to create the pose for the sleeves by simulating them in marvelous designer into the pose I want. But for some reason, the imported morph target scales my model down really small and I can't figure out why as If I import them separately the scale is correct

If anybody has any ideas I would be really grateful

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    if you remove the bones, skin weight the hanging arm cloth 100% to hip or root (basically so that animation doesn't effect them), then use cloth paint tool in unreal, I think you should get a proper simulation.

for getting correct scale in MD, that should be simple to solve especially since you do have one working example already. There is not enough info to troubleshoot properly but all you have to do is look at difference between the working example and the problem.

I believe it is possible to export the skeleton animation (e.g. going from t pose to the arms folded pose) and then run the animation in MD, which can then simulate from that. There is probably some tutorials for this. This would be my ideal solution since you already have everything setup in MD and it is going to give you the best simulation with the least amount of fuss.

• AmShaegar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AmShaegar polycounter lvl 4
    Alex_J said:
    if you remove the bones, skin weight the hanging arm cloth 100% to hip or root (basically so that animation doesn't effect them), then use cloth paint tool in unreal, I think you should get a proper simulation.

for getting correct scale in MD, that should be simple to solve especially since you do have one working example already. There is not enough info to troubleshoot properly but all you have to do is look at difference between the working example and the problem.

I believe it is possible to export the skeleton animation (e.g. going from t pose to the arms folded pose) and then run the animation in MD, which can then simulate from that. There is probably some tutorials for this. This would be my ideal solution since you already have everything setup in MD and it is going to give you the best simulation with the least amount of fuss.

Thanks for the help, I managed to get marvelous to scale properly but the issue I encountered was the geo was so distorted it ended up being unusable and not in a state to present as a folio piece. I haven't managed to get the skeleton joint system to work either, unfortunately. Additionally, skinning the sleeves to the root bone causes it to act really erratically so even under the best conditions it won't be good enough to present in folio :/
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    you should be able to get the simulation working nicely in MD. It will be a process of adjusing the simulation settings, the resolution of the cloth, and also manually tugging and using the pins to grab and hold sections (iirc ctrl + w or something to grab and hold which gives a little locator you can move around). It is definitely possible to do and I think doing it in MD will be the best approach.