Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need help and pointers for my head anatomy study

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Lifelover polycounter lvl 9
I'm focusing on studying the anatomy of the head and my purpose is to push it as hard as possible and learn a lot. Before stepping into fine detail sculpting, I wanna make sure that my proportions and forms are right. That's why I need an additional point of view from you guys to point out the critical mistakes that I've done Surely there are many. 

The idea is to sculpt a 25-30 years old female, just to give you an idea of what I strive for. 

Replies

• pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    Without any point of reference, I'll have to make generalizations:
    The brow might be a little high. It reads as a continuous arc from either side, usually there is an angle change in the middle. And just above your brow ridge it looks a little too planar going from end to end.
    Upper eyelids also look like a flat plane. Some volume to add some dimension would help.
    Ears look a little high in relation to the eye level.
    The curve of her left nostril looks cut off in the profile view.
    The space between the bottom of the nose to the upper lip looks a little short.
    The angle of the jaw looks too sharp/exaggerated/stylized.
    There are some general lumpiness/shading issues that need to be resolved in the cheekbones, brow and forehead areas.

Overall it's looking pretty good!
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Are you working from photo references? I think the best way to practice is by using generic models which allow you to focus on anatomy. Use a free app like Daz 3D on a screen next to your work monitor. That allows you to rotate and zoom while you work.
    For study though I reckon doin a whole figure each time gives you better balance'

• Lifelover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your responses, guys! For the time being I'm having a 3D scan reference, which I use to compare with my sculpt. I also have an image of a female, which I will adjust the proportions to, however, that will be once I'm certain I've corrected as much mistakes as possible.
    PS: Here's a female ref I'll stick to once my proportions are good.

• pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    That's an interesting approach. But if it works...it works :)

btw, is the reference AI generated? Not that it matters for your study...
    I was looking at it and it looks real, but also not real at the same time!!
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    You might want to work a bit more on the shape of the head .Proportion wise whole face has to move up a bit to have eyes close to the mid point , ears are too big . What is really lacking right now is forehead and neck and probably eye as they look weird -> add planes instead of simple curve
    Construction wise try to hit widest point to have a solid start, give her trachea and define plane of the forehead and if you can try to define forms on the cheek and jaw in side view , might also consider pushing jaw backwards , study form of the nose and give it a second try

• Lifelover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might want to work a bit more on the shape of the head .Proportion wise whole face has to move up a bit to have eyes close to the mid point , ears are too big . What is really lacking right now is forehead and neck and probably eye as they look weird -> add planes instead of simple curve
    Construction wise try to hit widest point to have a solid start, give her trachea and define plane of the forehead and if you can try to define forms on the cheek and jaw in side view , might also consider pushing jaw backwards , study form of the nose and give it a second try

That's an amazing feedback, thank you. I will look into those notes.