Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Simon Hassell

Sketchbook for class (and going forward)

Replies

• SimHassell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Game Art - Project 1: Diorama 

I knew for this project I wanted to do something sci-fi adjacent, without diving immediately into war and weapons. That sentiment actually sent me the other way, which is how I ended up on my centerpiece being an ambulance. I had sketched the ambulance before, and it was real rough, but it proved to be all I needed throughout the whole project.

Modeling was pretty fun, and I rarely felt bored or like I was rushing, it was honestly very therapeutic. Texturing on substance painter was fun too, but I had to spend some time relearning all the tools from last year. Making my own custom Alphas was super fun and really got me invested in my work.

The rest of the props, while not nearly as exciting, where still genuinely enjoyable to make and turned out great!

After building and setdressing, I had a neat little setup that I'm pretty proud of.

• SimHassell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Game Art - Project 2: Zbrush Creature Bust

I had a blast working on this. this is my second time ever working on Zbrush, and the first time was at least a half a year ago, so I had to do a fair bit of re-learning. I love sci-fi but I knew the limitations of the project, so I chose a Hive Wizard to be my focus. Lots of organic shapes with the bones, while still feeling like an armored monster.

The modeling process was long, but I had a lot of fun the whole time. Every time it would come together felt like such an achievement and I would jump right back in to continue. Texturing was not required for the project, but in order to get the depth I wanted for certain parts I had to throw on some color. I learned quite a bit about mid and low poly models, baking, and decimation during this project, which is one of the cooler technical things I have seen out of this class. Super happy with how everything turned out, it was a very engaging project.

• SimHassell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Game Art - Project 3: Game Ready Asset

This time around I focused on what I wanted to do in the industry, prop design. I already had a few fleshed out drawings of some weapons I wanted to inevitably model, so I chose a sci-fi western-themed rifle. This was my first time going down a true modeling pipeline, and at points I got a little lost between my lowpolys and midpolys, putting a little too much detail into my lowpoly to the point I used part of it as the midpoly. 

There was a lot of learning done about the process and about how things worked inside the programs I used, and even though there where a few late nights, the knowledge I have been able to pull out of this project alone has me excited, not just for the next project but for my own personal work that I've always wanted to make.

• SimHassell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Game Art - Project 4: Environment

For the last assignment of the year, an environment is pretty fun. Getting to make each piece and learning about how foliage works made the whole project very engaging. There where hiccups, as always, but foliage really tripped me up the first few attempts that I tried, but in the end it looked a lot nicer than I thought it would. Doing my own thing in substance was interesting and a little scary, but once I got the hangs of it, it was a blast.

I know I love props, but learning setdressing and a few backgrounds here and there seems like it could be a lot more fun than I realized.