Home Technical Talk

Is there a way to quickly set the weights on the front and back of model to the same value in maya?

yamato
node
Offline / Send Message
yamato node
As the title says.

I am working on a model for use in a game. It took me a long time to adjust the skirts of the model because the weights on the front and back of the model are just different, which caused the dizzying.

I thought about extrusion, but I had already merged the back of the clothes with the body, and I had already drawn the textures and such, so it was difficult to redo.

I had no choice but to select the vertices and adjust them by entering values in the Component Editor.

Is there any way to make the weights the same on the front and back of the model without doing that?

Also, is there a quick way to add weight to the model without having to do that? I am especially bad at weighting skirts and other swinging objects. How do you guys adjust the weights? I would like to know how to do it without using a paid plugin if possible.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Do you mean that you have a double sided piece of clothing, and that the weights on one side are different than the back side?

quickest way to solve that which I know if is to select by vertex and apply weights by flood fill. Then you can smooth it afterwards if needed.

This way you can make a vertex selection in wireframe view to make sure you have the entire portion of the clothes needed, flood fill the weight value to whatever joint, and then just smooth out for cleanup.

There is methods to transfer weight from vertex to another by proximity but I am not sure that would work if it is the same mesh.

I have not used mayas default skinning tools in ages but I think this should all be possible to do using them.
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    You could try extracting the front faces as a new single sided mesh, weight that and then copy weights to the version with thickness. The weight hammer tool in Maya is also great for smoothing out weights as well.
  • yamato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yamato node
    Thank you for your response.

I will work on it based on this answer.

Maybe it would be better to assign a harder weight once and then smooth it out.