Home Technical Talk

Hair cards help (Marmoset)

sandrac
node
Offline / Send Message
sandrac node
Hello, I'm working on a project that I will be rendering in marmoset and I'm trying to achieve the same look as the one I have circled in the image.
My question is, how would you go on about doing it? I was thinking of hair cards or maybe using fibermesh and exporting the geo, but idk, kinda stuck in this. If anyone can help me that be cool, thanks
No description available

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    either way you mentioned would work. pretty sure this is hair cards in the image.

marmoset has pretty good dithered opacity that looks nice for hair cards. they have at least a few great tutorials covering character rendering from skin to hair on the website. it's a great resource even for general tips beyond marmoset use.

i guess fibermesh might look good but it will be a big slowdown in sending the geo back and forth compared to hair cards. you probably have easier time placing hair cards to be exactly how you want to instead of fussing with weird grooming tools. Of course geo will look a little nicer if you are taking renders from 2mm away.
  • dimwalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dimwalker polycounter lvl 15
    Maybe few alpha textured tubes inside of each other would be enough? For me it looks like that's what they did on screenshot.

• sandrac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sandrac node
    Alex_J said:
    either way you mentioned would work. pretty sure this is hair cards in the image.

marmoset has pretty good dithered opacity that looks nice for hair cards. they have at least a few great tutorials covering character rendering from skin to hair on the website. it's a great resource even for general tips beyond marmoset use.

i guess fibermesh might look good but it will be a big slowdown in sending the geo back and forth compared to hair cards. you probably have easier time placing hair cards to be exactly how you want to instead of fussing with weird grooming tools. Of course geo will look a little nicer if you are taking renders from 2mm away.
    Thanks for replying, ok yes hair cards seem like the way to go, since its gonna be a videogame asset. 

dimwalker said:
    Maybe few alpha textured tubes inside of each other would be enough? For me it looks like that's what they did on screenshot.

Yeah, i was thinking of  putting a tube beneath the hair cards in case i miss a space, Thanks for replying !