Home Technical Talk

[Blender] Using SVG to create a floorplan, how can I create the floor?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
cbates540 polycounter lvl 8
Heyo! I am creating a floorplan in Blender from an svg. The client uses Sketchup and needs the floor of the model to be either attached or at least a perfect outline of the outer walls. It needs to be exact to the outline or it will not render correctly. I have an svg I have used to create the walls, but I am having trouble knowing how to create the floor. Suggestions appreciated!

My current thoughts:
I have tried selecting the bottom vertices and using Fill, but there are too many and it doesn't work. I am thinking if there is a way to use the outside walls as a sort of cookie cutter on a plane, that would be ideal. Ngons are not a concern for the client (even though it drives me nuts!)

An alternate idea is to add the floor to the svg, reimport to Blender, select only the walls and extrude up. However I'm running into a problem with Illustrator when I attempt it. The svg is created by outlining the strokes, then Pathfinder>Unite to get rid of the overlapping inside the walls. This puts the Fill on the inside of the walls and I do not know how I can also get a fill for the floor.

The bottoms of the walls are currently open, as I tried to imitate what they were able to do in Sketchup.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    You are confusing yourself (and making your presentation of your problem confusing as well) by mentionning things like the original format of the design (it being originally a SVG is irrelevant, since you now have a perfectly standard Blender scene with the design imported in), or even mentionning some irrelevant preference of "quads vs tris".

You have the walls. You need the matching floor. Either select the needed edges on the periphery of the walls, duplicate them out as a new mesh, add whichever edges are needed, and fill that up ; or, cap the top and bottom of these walls and use them for a boolean operation on a big, thick plane, and cleanup from there. That's all there is to it, a few minutes worth of work really ...
  • cbates540
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cbates540 polycounter lvl 8
    I am notorious for overcomplicating things and confusing myself :# I will give these a try, thank you so much!