Home Technical Talk

Please tell me how to assign weights to this hat neatly and quickly in Maya.

yamato
node
Offline / Send Message
yamato node
The title is true.

Assigning weights to free rigs in skinning practice. I can't seem to get the weights to work on the hat in the image.

What I am having trouble with is assigning weights to each joint in a nice gradient.

I was able to assign the weights to one joint at a time. For each joint, we have to select a vertex around the joint and assign a weight to it. Then, it is difficult to make a beautiful gradation.

Is there a more efficient and clean way to assign the weights?

Since this is intended for work, please let me know how to do this without using expensive plug-ins such as ngskintool.

The software used is maya2020.

This is my first post, so I apologize if I made a mistake.

Also, please let me know of a site that has a comprehensive explanation of how to assign weights.

I will also include the URL of a free rig on gumroad by an artist named Christoph (The Stoff) Schoch. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    First select the root joint (the one that all other joints are beneath)

Then in rigging menu category, -> Bind Skin (options)
    Bind to: Joint Hierarchy (all joints underneath the selected joint)
    Bind Method: Closest distance should do, but you could try heatmap as well.

Then Apply and Close.

This will do what you did manually, automatically. If you need to touch up the weights you have to use the Paint Skin Weights or Smooth Skin Weights tools. There is plenty of tutorials available for this and it is more than can be described in a single post. But I think you shouldn't need to do any manual touchups for this.
  • yamato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yamato node
    Thank you for your answer.

It is true that the weights were allocated relatively cleanly when done automatically.

However, if I do it automatically, there is a possibility that I will not be able to achieve the deformation that I intended. In that case, would it be more efficient to first assign the weights automatically and then adjust them manually?

By the way, could you please tell me what binding settings you recommend for this type of model?

Thank you in advance.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    just default settings for the bind and closest distance should do the trick.

it is likely that the bind achieves what you want, but if it does not, then you'll use the skin weight tools to fix things up.
  • yamato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yamato node
    Thank you for your answer.

I will use this advice for skinning!

Thank you very much!
  • yamato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yamato node
    When I was shaking the jacket weights at work today, I broke it down and did it automatically and it worked.

Thank you Alex!