Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first personal project! Would love some feedback!

Raiton
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Raiton polycounter lvl 5
Hey, I just finished my first personal project after months of working and sweating on it, and would love to get some feedback, as it will be the strongest piece in my portfolio for future job hunting.
To make it I followed a tutorial on Udemy from Nikolay Naydenov, and the concept for the model was made by Art of Maki on Artstaion. 
Do you think it is okay that I use a piece for my portfolio that is from a tutorial?
I am not really sure about the answer so would love feedback on that too.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    if it is good art, it is good art. So long as the same character is not seen all over artstation I doubt it's an issue if you followed a tutorial.

I think this is pretty well executed, but it could probably be pushed a ways further for it to get in the realm of AAA degrees of polish. The gun stands out as feeling a lack in detail. I think the idea is to look sleek and minimalistic but that might be communicated a little better if it has some more contrast between high detail areas and the sleek, angular covering. It might also help to get a stronger contrast between the gun material, the fabric material, and skin. With a shader like this I think that is a little more simple compared to PBR - you probably only need to focus on the specular shine. How tight it is, it's falloff range, etc.

You might also take a second look at how you present the character too. Like here you've given kind of a wide view that takes in a lot of background, but the background is just simple noise pretty much as far as the viewer here would be concerned. Maybe a taller viewport that takes in the whole character is better? Maybe some artistic angles or something to help give an edgy feel? Maybe background is pretty dark and put some strong lights on the character to make her pop a little more?

These are all just suggestions some thing I might try. Might be bad ideas but if it is quick and easy to try it might be worthwhile.
  • Raiton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raiton polycounter lvl 5
    Alex_J said:
    if it is good art, it is good art. So long as the same character is not seen all over artstation I doubt it's an issue if you followed a tutorial.

I think this is pretty well executed, but it could probably be pushed a ways further for it to get in the realm of AAA degrees of polish. The gun stands out as feeling a lack in detail. I think the idea is to look sleek and minimalistic but that might be communicated a little better if it has some more contrast between high detail areas and the sleek, angular covering. It might also help to get a stronger contrast between the gun material, the fabric material, and skin. With a shader like this I think that is a little more simple compared to PBR - you probably only need to focus on the specular shine. How tight it is, it's falloff range, etc.

You might also take a second look at how you present the character too. Like here you've given kind of a wide view that takes in a lot of background, but the background is just simple noise pretty much as far as the viewer here would be concerned. Maybe a taller viewport that takes in the whole character is better? Maybe some artistic angles or something to help give an edgy feel? Maybe background is pretty dark and put some strong lights on the character to make her pop a little more?

These are all just suggestions some thing I might try. Might be bad ideas but if it is quick and easy to try it might be worthwhile.
    Hey Alex,

I totally agree with you, the gun is definitely the weak link here. Thank you for your suggestions they will surely help a lot!

As for the background I wanted to take the same angle and background as they do in Overwatch (that's where it comes from) but I agree that probably a larger view first is better. I will also add multiple angles and possibly a turnaround uploaded somewhere.

Thank you again for your advice! It is much appreciated.

Elena
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Use the character you have modeled as a reference. Decide what you like about the design, research your subject and make a kickass character using this model and what you have learned from it as a guide. Models made from tutorials don't really make a splash in portfolio land.
  • Raiton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raiton polycounter lvl 5
    kanga said:
    Use the character you have modeled as a reference. Decide what you like about the design, research your subject and make a kickass character using this model and what you have learned from it as a guide. Models made from tutorials don't really make a splash in portfolio land.
    Yeah I totally agree, I actually felt the same way but I have very few pieces in my portfolio so it will have to do before I make something new :)
    Thanks for your advice! I already have plans for another character.