Home Marmoset

Problem with rendering in Marmoset 4.0.3 - different brightness at different image resolutions

Hi everyone, sorry for the double post, not sure which thread to post this question in.
I'm facing this problem, the more I set the image size, the darker it becomes on the final render. The render settings are the same, only the image size changes.
Can you tell me what the problem might be?
Thank you in advance!

Replies

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2
    I would guess that the microdetails of this material doesn't show up so much in the lesser resolution and the bigger one does show this.. in more detail.. ? Rendering the lesser one with more samples should show the same brightness.. i'm not sure if this should be 3 times or 3x3 times more.. because i actually just realise that i'm not sure if the sample term applies to the size or the area..
  • nikkkkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki said:
    I would guess that the microdetails of this material doesn't show up so much in the lesser resolution and the bigger one does show this.. in more detail.. ? Rendering the lesser one with more samples should show the same brightness.. i'm not sure if this should be 3 times or 3x3 times more.. because i actually just realise that i'm not sure if the sample term applies to the size or the area..
    Unfortunately, increasing the number of samples did not change anything and at higher resolutions the image is still darker.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Kinda looks like normal map / specular mipping problems 

• nikkkkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD said:
    Looks like it, disabled normal map and the image stopped being darker. But how do I fix this problem, where can I read about it?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    nikkkkin said:
    ZacD said:
    Looks like it, disabled normal map and the image stopped being darker. But how do I fix this problem, where can I read about it?
    Starts on page 30 http://media.steampowered.com/apps/valve/2015/Alex_Vlachos_Advanced_VR_Rendering_GDC2015.pdf
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like you're using an older build. Try updating to the latest (4.06), filtering (anti-aliasing) was reworked in 4.04, and this may improve the results in your scene..

Something else you can try is disabling mip-mapping for the normal map. You can do that by clicking the gear icon next to the normal map. This may result in a more consistent appearance at different resolutions (but could result in moire artifacts as well).