Home Technical Talk

Gaea vs World Creator

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Axcel polycounter lvl 14
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with both and can share his opinion?
World Creator got a big update this year, so this needs to be taken under consideration as well.

Much appreciated!
Artur

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    one important thing to check (if you need it) is tiled output support. last I checked, I think both these programs were limited there, though they had plans for more support in the future.

as a beginner I found world creator to be the most intuitive of the terrain creator softwares to jump into, but I haven't gone very deep into them to comment on that.
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Much appreciated Alex!
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I haven't seen the  last update of World Creator.  But I used their soft from time to time for years and their  predecessor too  where there was a nice feature of  creating tiles that  being rotated 90 degree  in random direction stay  seamless .     

But once I tried  Gaea , It was an instant buy and I never  looked back.   It's so much easier.     I usually don't do   terrains from scratch . Usually it's some  low res height map  I need  to make realistically looking erosion details.     World creator was never  easy to do  so.    Gaea makes it  without much of a hassle.  I instantly feel  homey there.
    Perhaps all this is just my personal preference and  I just never learned  World Creator deep enough  to fill comfortable through all those years since I had actual terrain tasks only episodically.     I've  also  got  World Machine  license from couple years ago.  Very flexible and also node based      but somehow still  collects dust on my pc.  Too complicated for my taste. 
    Now I use Gaea even to do textures for dirt and rocks both tille-ables and macro ,unique textures  . Easier and more convenient  than Substance Designer.