Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Witcher | Geralt of Rivia | Netflix - Henry Cavill - Character Modeling

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Yulia_Belyaeva polycounter lvl 2

Hi, everybody! This is my the first portrait and 3D character model of Henry Cavill as Geralt of Rivia from «The Witcher» of Netflix that I have just released after piecing few hours of work every now and then for a longtime. This game-ready model was an excellent chance to try out new skills of creating clothes and hair. Also, a perfect chance to try my hand at hand-painted PBR textures, cinematic lighting and rendering.

Used software: Zbrush, Maya, TopoGun, RizomUV, XGen, Substance Painter and Arnold.

Сheck out my Artstation for super hi-res images and also more shots: https://www.artstation.com/yulia_belyaeva

Cheers!

#thewitcher #witcher #geralt #netflix #henrycavill #lookdevmodel #portrait #3dcharactermodel #gameready #gamereadymodel #clothes #hair #handpainted #pbrtextures #cinematic #lighting #rendering #3dmodel #concept #bodysculpting #weapons #clothmodeling #retopology #UVmapping #baking #texturing #grooming #shading #rendering #compositing 

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Looks pretty good.
    By the inclusion of what looks like prompts I guess the model is AI generated, although I can't be certain unless you tell us specifically. In any case,... Henry is having a bad hair day. From a distance it looks ok but up close it looks flat (no body) and very artificial. Doing a dark model on black isn't easy and it looks like you could benefit from a 3 light setup. If you are doing a likeness, especially an in character one, it pays to use a video of the character and sift through the frames to catch the subject at a variety of angles. The costume is ok but underwhelming. I have seen him in better gear. Never create a figure with an expression. Creating morphs from a neutral starting point is the most efficient way to go.

• Yulia_Belyaeva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello kanga !
    This model is definitely made by me, not by AI. :) Thank you for your opinion and time spent. Some recommendations seemed reasonable and accurate to me (for example, about the background and clothes).
    Have a nice day!
  • loshmiii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loshmiii polycounter lvl 7
    There is AI that could generate characters like this?

Anyway, on HP version it is possible to see a lot of nice details like wrinkles, while in rendering pictures those details are killed by too dark ambient. I would definitely suggest to change lightning setup. Parts that I have highlighted on picture below are burning basically and I would try to avoid that. In overall model is very good, maybe just working a bit more on rendering.

• Yulia_Belyaeva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi loshmiii polycounter lvl 6, I completely agree with you, I'm still a beginner in lighting and I see that there are some lighting problems that I'll try to fix. Thank you for your honest feedback and high appreciation.