Home Freelance Job Postings

[CLOSED] 2D Stylized/Cartoon Character Design

Hi there,
I am really grateful and happy with the responses I got for my other request concerning the outline blocks and thought I will give this more difficult topic a try here as well. Designing the characters for the game is a topic which is really dear to my heart.

Edit 2: Closed for now, having trials with artists! Thanks again for every artist that applied and a big sorry that I couldn't get back to all of you. I had a lot of fun looking at all your portfolios. Thanks again for taking the time to reach out!
Edit (2023/09/22): Thanks a lot to everyone that took the time to reach out! Sadly I still haven't found the right fit yet but I had a lot of fun looking at your awesome portfolios!

Edit: Thank you so much to all the artists that reached out to me, I really appreciate it! I haven't met the right match yet but I know the skillset required for this job is pretty specific so I won't give up!

What I am looking for in the end is Character Designs and Animations, but for now I would be very happy to find an artist that could work with me on ~5 character designs, even if animating them is not part of your skillset. The animations won't need to be highly complex like run cycles, but more like showing certain emotions like happyness, sadness, thinking, victorious. The form factor of the character needs to be rather small (see green marked space in the screenshot), so chibi characters or pokemon like creatures might work well for this scenario.

In general, I think these characters need to accomplish just a few things, very similar to what the characters in the game Bust a Move did:
  • Look fun/cute/enticing, even at a glance
  • Express emotions, even at their small form factor
  • Stylistically fit into the game world or at least not look out of place
I think this is a really difficult job. I have attached some pictures for stylistic and form factor references of what I'm looking for but nothing in there is exactly what my vision is (closest might be the 7 creatures pic, 2nd pic from the bottom).

If you are interested in this job and have already done character design work that matches what I am looking for, feel free to contact me at team@runordiegame.com

Thanks a lot for your time and consideration, it is much appreciated!