Home Technical Talk

Moving to blender worth it?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello , I been using 3dsmax for years, but I see that for Blender comes out a lot of new nice things, plugins, tutorials and Seems very good for ahuge variety of purpouses, while for 3dsmax I see much less and everything is locked behind paywall... Also I see a lot of people artists use MAYA ,  and seems a lot of industry requires MAYA , but why not just Blende if is free and can do it all?
What are the pro and cons of 3dsmax , Maya and Blender today?

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    from my point of view as a long term 3dsmax 2011 (yep yep) user. before i start setting up a new max for serious work, i'd rather learn blender.

in production we can pretty much never ditch maya, as final integration is pretty much always happening there. but we can totally ditch 3dsmax.

i am just very comfortable and fast at what i do with my paid off version from a million years ago, i'd never ever in another million years model in maya, so thats why it would be blender for me. 

but i am also incredibly lazy when it comes to changing a running system.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    no harm in learning it and see if you want to use it. It took me at least 2 years to get 'really' comfortable with it but I don't regret switching from max
    I still like maya, but it crashes waaay too much

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2
    Like with everthing.. some like one and hate the other.. until they switch.. or use some lock-a-like-mockup-thingy  like this
    https://github.com/NevilArt/BsMax ..and some just want Win2K back..
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    okidoki said:
    Like with everthing.. some like one and hate the other.. until they switch.. or use some lock-a-like-mockup-thingy  like this
    https://github.com/NevilArt/BsMax ..and some just want Win2K back..

What is that? I do not understand ... a plugin to make blender layout like MAX?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    @okidoki do they replace the monkeys head with a teapot?
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2
    NAIMA said: What is that? I do not understand ... a plugin to make blender layout like MAX?
    Kind of.. i once stumbled about that (or more about users argueing about GUI :smirk: .. ) so i knew about it.. but i don't use it myself.. (used Max 4/5 only for a very short time).. (and i just discovered the original thread in this other forum..  https://blenderartists.org/t/bmax-tools-or-how-i-left-3ds-max/586373?u=okidoki ..so if you are interested.. )

Ruz said:
    @okidoki do they replace the monkeys head with a teapot?
    Haha i don't realy know.. but i f you are interested into the teapot (and more) in blender have a look over here: BlenderArtists.org: how-do-i-propose-an-addition-to-the-extra-objects-add-on ..

Sidenote: THIS forum is still very interesting :+1: !! (Even if i'm a little more active in the other... and sorry for the "forum advertising"  :sweat_smile: .. funny enough i "see" some users on both :wink: )

( and somehow after every emojiicon is a linebreak ?? )
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    @okidoki wow. a 'chimps tea party' if you combine suzanne and all the other tea sets :)

I really did not know that there originally was more than just the teapot , learn something new every day
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    100%.

I starded with 3Ds max in 2009, moved to maya in 2011, stayed in maya up to 2016, and then switched to blender.
    Blender is awesome, powerful and its free.

I work with games btw.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Don't switch,....... just morph!
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    100%.

I starded with 3Ds max in 2009, moved to maya in 2011, stayed in maya up to 2016, and then switched to blender.
    Blender is awesome, powerful and its free.

I work with games btw.

They don't request you to know Maya?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    It does n't hurt to now any of the main packages, including max, maya, Houdini, Blender, etc. Its more the quality of the work that
    counts really.
     for example I haven't really touched substance painter, but everyone seems to swear by it
    I just swear at it :)
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    In Blender  everything  is simpler  vs  Max .  Starting from view port render  and shader  editor.    I once loved  shader FX plugin for MAx . Then Autodesk incorporated it  and it became almost unusable.     Blender shader editor is easier than even Unreal one . You don't have to compile  anything  . Everything is real time and self explaining.   Simple blocks, simple math.   To calculate anything involving  vector rotation    you can use  sin node  with just degree value  like in  5 grade school books,  no need to do *2pi  first  like in Substance designer .  You can use vector as color and  vice versa, color as gray.  And so on and on.    

Geometry nodes vs  Max creation graph .     It's like  simple Greek  geometry and school  arithmetic    vs   crazy scientist  creation of  something you would never figure out until you have some actual codding experience.  

Geometry nodes   is the best thing happened in content creation for years.   I can do things I tried in Houdiny for years  and never figured it out.    In Geonodes it's simpler and there is always someone ready to help you  at  blenderartist.org.  Sometimes  just within  minutes. 

Since V3 when CyclesX   been incorporated in Blender    Arnold is out of consideration .   Cycles is miles ahead IMO in speed in convenience .   And settings are simple like 2x2.      I pay for Octane  subscribtion but  now  have my doubts  if I really need it .   Cycles is even simpler than Octane.

• NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I am wondering, what is the business model behind Blender? How those guys gain money to do what they do and compete with Autodesk and others?
  • pior
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    the answer is, fortnite skins pay for a lot of this ;)