Home Technical Talk

Is it possible to recreate 'Skinshade4' look in Maya's Arnold?

triangle
Offline / Send Message
jeffxfcVA triangle
I honestly really love Skinshade4, but unfortunately, Zbrush isn't really my preferred rendering tool. I was hoping that it is possible to recreate that material's look inside Maya's Arnold.

Replies

• dllxtt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dllxtt polycounter lvl 8
    I think you can do that only by eyeballing it and checking its settings in Zbrush/Materials tab. It's not that complicated I believe it should be just basic Arnold Standard material with Diffuse - Pure white + Roughness adjusted close visually to the Zbrush. The rest is really basic stuff.

The only thing probably that is not very obvious and makes SkinShade4 look how it looks in Zbrush is that there is fixated light that is not touched by anyone in most cases. You can mimic it just by placing a sphere in the scene with the Diffuse/Roughness settings and setup the same light in the scene. 

Since the light is fixated and follows camera (camera - parent, light - child) in Zbrush it makes that average middle look for SkinShade4 from any angle while you looking at objects in Zbrush. 

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think ZBrush is using a MatCap for this. This uses an old and super-efficient lighting technique called Spherical Environment Mapping, more about it here on our wiki, including links to ZBrush's documentation about it: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Spherical_environment_map