Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(WIP) Historical house recreation

Hello everyone!

I am an MA student completing my capstone project and was wondering if anyone could give me feedback on a historical house I am recreating. I am recreating the following house, the Red House in UK.
Red House Bexleyheath - Wikipedia
Exploring The Red House  William Morriss Iconic Arts and Crafts Home in  London - Londontopia
Amazing interiors Red House Bexleyheath - The Home of Arts and Craft

And below is the current state of my project. I am trying to figure out best ways to reduce repetition in the roof tiles, would like some ideas on how to improve the roof meshes and the tiles.

Thanks again for looking at my project and for any feedback/critiques you have!

Replies

• Korbology
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Korbology polycounter lvl 2
    Looking like you've measured out the spaces very nicely! I'm curious how you accomplished this.
    Now I'm not sure exactly how far along you are--and therefore what you already have in the works--but the first things I noticed missing from the roof are:

It also looks like the tiles were originally laid to be a uniform color, but in your material you've made them have slight color variations to simulate the grunge buildup over time:

I think the better way of going about this would be to tone down the color variation in your roof tiles' basecolor, and then set up a shader to overlay a grunge over the entire roof space with different tiling than the tiles themselves. This one is much harder to explain if you haven't made a basic shader before, but you can find lots of tutorials online for how to set this up.
    One other thing is I think the bricks on your current exterior look much smaller than the ones on the real house. It kind of gives the illusion that your house is enormous, but if you just count how many bricks tall one of the small windows is in your reference, it should help you tile the bricks in your project better as well.
    Hope that helps!
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    You haven't given information on the software you are using. Good advice above. The brickwork looks kind of horrible as does the roof tiling and floor texture. I suppose you know about beveled edges and normal maps, if not that would be a good place to start. There really is so much free information on the web. I reckon you would want to model the structure first before texturing and posting for critique.

Again, tell folks what the end aim is and what software you have at your disposal.