Home Adobe Substance

[Substance Designer] Generating stains, leaks and randomized dust based on a simple grid?

elios
node
Offline / Send Message
elios node
Hey folks. 
I am trying to create a substance which would take a simple tile grid and add dust spots and stains to it in a convincing manner. This is for a set of glass building facade textures, here are two quick references from the web just so you know exactly what I mean.

My current way of doing it is by using flood fill to fill each tile with a top to bottom gradient, top being white, and then multiply that by a blurred soft bevel of the same tiles, subtract a grunge from it and mask some bits out with an additional grunge. I would really appreciate some help and suggestions on the ways you can generate/fake stuff like leaks, dust in general, specifically in the context of facades and windows. My current examples below. I can show the graph once I clean it up. They seem to look alright, but there isn't much variance driven by changing the underlying pattern and I also feel like there has to be a slightly better way of doing it. 

Replies